Bass Rig Help? (first-timer)

t_guns

• Members

Oh. Must have developed after they all got them! A ways back, I asked a question about powered speakers and that was the one that got recommended.

Yep. There was that "hify speaker on a budget" thread. About a month later, there was a 1503 issues thread that was almost as long as the first thread. Last time I was over there, there was a "1503 done right by reverse engineering" thread. :D

I guess there were a ton of issues with both the crossover and the 15" driver so they just said the heck with it and copied the design using a 2515LF and better components. I hear they sound amazing, too bad the quality isn't there.

• Members
Yep. There was that "hify speaker on a budget" thread. About a month later, there was a 1503 issues thread that was almost as long as the first thread. Last time I was over there, there was a "1503 done right by reverse engineering" thread.
:D

I guess there were a ton of issues with both the crossover and the 15" driver.

Yeah, I kept up til the 2nd thread, and then lost interest. Was crazy talk. :)

• Members

Yeah, that's a pretty ignorant assertion.

The B-Max pre I had (SS version) was under $200 used and arguably sounded easily as good as the Demeter (both versions), Aguilar and Eden pre's I'd used in the past, while costing half to almost a third less.

I've heard even better things about the B-Max-T.

You are agreeing with me then? I have the same pre that you had but the older molder- BBE 383. I find it great for a good clean tone that cuts through. I picked mine up used for $70.

• Members

Big racks sound like a cool idea until you move it all the time. I've got a Mesa Big Block, tuner and "power conditioner" and it's heavy as {censored}.

The only benefit of pre/power that I can see over a nice amp is the flexibility of changing the preamp...and then you might as well get a nice amp. Sure, you can change your power amp-bigger-smaller-whatever-but the pre will change your tone much more. Go with a good amp-done.

Yo.

• Members

Big racks sound like a cool idea until you move it all the time. I've got a Mesa Big Block, tuner and "power conditioner" and it's heavy as {censored}.

The only benefit of pre/power that I can see over a nice amp is the flexibility of changing the preamp...and then you might as well get a nice amp. Sure, you can change your power amp-bigger-smaller-whatever-but the pre will change your tone much more. Go with a good amp-done.

Yo.

Dude, where ya been lately!!

• Members

Yeah, that's a pretty ignorant assertion.

The B-Max pre I had (SS version) was under $200 used and arguably sounded easily as good as the Demeter (both versions), Aguilar and Eden pre's I'd used in the past, while costing half to almost a third less.

I've heard even better things about the B-Max-T.

If you guys are talking about me regarding the BBE stuff, I said they get crappy reviews -- I've never heard one, but the reviews are all-around pretty bad (noise, tone sucking, build quality, etc). There're good reviews, but there're enough bad ones that I would at least consider that.

• Members

Yo.

You're skippin the benefit of having a power amp --

Power amps have pretty awesome features these days. Like adjustable low or high pass filters, the ability to go to 2 ohms per side, etc.

I'm thinking of trying mine out in subwoofer mode sometime soon (one side to a sub, one side to a full range cab), and that's something you can't really do with a standard rig :)

Archived