silent mute switch

poomwah

• Members

I'd like to have a footswitch that kills everything, I used to have a volume pedal and realized thats all I ever used it for. I'd like something simple, but I'm worried that if I just hook up a switch, that I'll get a pop when I turn it on and off... what else would I need in addition to the switch and a pair of jacks?

• Members

Yep, an A/B switch would do that perfectly.

I'm a big fan of
stuff, but you could DIY with the same components with a reasonable expectation of success.

so what are the components? is it just the switch? doesn't it need some sort of noise suppressor? or something... wouldnt flipping a switch make a popping sound when you completed the circuit?

• Members

so what are the components? is it just the switch? doesn't it need some sort of noise suppressor? or something... wouldnt flipping a switch make a popping sound when you completed the circuit?

Yep, just a switch. As long as it's break before make, it will be silent.

• Members

Maybe not the cheapest option, but a tuner pedal will do it. Plus you get a tuner, too.

I was thinking about going that route, but already had a particular tuner picked out :[

what I would like to build would be a combination of loop masters a/b switch, and their pedal board patch unit

• Members

The "A" contacts open before the "B" contacts close.

oh I see. so would it have to be made as an a/b or could it simply be made as an on off? I know its different switches, but would just an on and off switch work without the popping sound?

• Members

oh I see. so would it have to be made as an a/b or could it simply be made as an on off? I know its different switches, but would just an on and off switch work without the popping sound?

Yes, you just don't connect the B contacts to anything. You're only switching the positive conductor.

• Members

Maybe not the cheapest option, but a tuner pedal will do it. Plus you get a tuner, too.

That's what I was thinking too.

Poomwah, how much total would it cost you for the tuner you have in mind plus the switch? There are plenty of tuner pedals under $100 that will mute but will likely also provide more tuning accuracy compared to lower-priced models.

• Members

I use a Carvin A/B switch , it's great for when I've got an active bass and a passive bass (Passive goes through preamp on pedalboard) or an active bass and my upright (Upright goes through preamp on pedalboard) or just my active bass and I want to kill it before I unplug the bass and turn off my wireless without getting a 'Pop' sound... for $20 I can't complain, I've gotten 7+ good years out of it.

Archived