Yo C7! and anyone else that's been to Spain lately

ec437

• Members

Food, but only in the restaurants. I actually went grocery shopping because we rented an apartment with a kitchen, and in the store it was about the same. If you eat meat, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the variety of specialty meats that the supermarkets offer.

That's the only thing I noticed. Beer was about the same as here.

Public transport was very inexpensive, like 5 euro for an all day pass on the Metro. Cabs were about the same as here.

Remember, though, that I was in Barcelona, which from all accounts is more expensive than everywhere else in Spain, including Madrid. So if you live in a place like CA or NYC, you'd likely be right in line with home on expenditures.

C7

• Members

really? woow thats awesome dude, congrats, good luck with castellano
:thu:
Mexican Spanish, is like American English, Castellano (Spanish from Spain) is like British English.

I can understand Castellano better than Mexicano, but when I speak Spanish, I use Mexicano word forms, so people in Barcelona, who don't like to speak Spanish anyways, treated me sort of cold. Nobody {censored}ing smiles when they greet you, it sort of made me feel awkward.

I figured out that they don't say things like "Como estas?" or "buenos dias" in greeting, they just say "hola." They don't say "Con mucho gusto", it's simply "de nada". Very blunt Spanish. I preferred speaking with the Ticos in Costa Rica and the Mexicans in Los Cabos, because at least they were friendly. The Barcas were borderline rude.

C7

• Members

Yeah i know, Spanish bad words are really funny though
:lol:
I mean that they use a very different vocabulary than the one we use.

Example: They do not use the pronoun ''Ellos (they)'' instead of that they use ''Vosotros''. that change some verbs conjugation. among many other this is the easiest example i found.

Vas muy bien

The only problem i find, is that sometimes you translate literally every word from English to Spanish. translation is not always literal. but come on, i speak English like {censored}, believe me, you will survive

Yeah, I know, I suck at sounding natural :facepalm:

• Members

I was in Sevilla for two weeks last summer, more prciey than usual, but I am American, so the $ was not doing so well against the Euro. Back in the day (the 80s!) I lived like a king when I lived in Almeria, Spain. One $ was about 170 pesetas then.

I think you can do quite well in Andalucia, make sure you try Jamon Iberico de Bellota, the best cured ham in the world!

I speak New Mexican Spanish, which got me by in Spain a lot easier than some would think. Andaluz is a bit different from Castellano, they drop a lot of consenants, but it actually is closer to Castilian spoken in Mexico than the rest of Spain.

Enjoy!

• Members

I speak New Mexican Spanish, which got me by in Spain a lot easier than some would think. Andaluz is a bit different from Castellano, they drop a lot of consenants, but it actually is closer to Castilian spoken in Mexico than the rest of Spain.

Enjoy!

I think if you essays would just standardize your {censored}, you'd all get along better.:D

That said, there were dudes in Ireland speaking English to me, and I was speaking English to them, and neither of us had a {censored}ing clue what the other was saying.:D

C7

• Members

I think if you essays would just standardize your {censored}, you'd all get along better.
:D

That said, there were dudes in Ireland speaking English to me, and I was speaking English to them, and neither of us had a {censored}ing clue what the other was saying.
:D
C7

Why? Would you want everyone in Ireland speaking in a Texan accent? Not me!

I like diversity! Viva Castellano! Viva Spanglish!:thu:

Archived