Question about actual Ibanez and Yamaha basses...

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've thinking 'bout maybe getting a 6'er... I've watched Ibanez models but haven't got the occasion to try one yet. The BTB 776 and 676 models caught my attention, aswell as the SR706 model.

As for the Yammys, the RBX-JM2 and TRB 6'ers also caught my eyes.

10 years ago, you could count on these companies for durable, quality instruments... Now, is it still the case ? They used to make'em with pride in Japan... where are they made now ? Any effect on quality (woods, etc) ?

• Members
Hi !

I've thinking 'bout maybe getting a 6'er... I've watched Ibanez models but haven't got the occasion to try one yet. The BTB 776 and 676 models caught my attention, aswell as the SR706 model.

As for the Yammys, the RBX-JM2 and TRB 6'ers also caught my eyes.

10 years ago, you could count on these companies for durable, quality instruments... Now, is it still the case ? They used to make'em with pride in Japan... where are they made now ? Any effect on quality (woods, etc) ?

Yes they can still be counted on for quality........depending on price range.Who cares where they're made?

• Members

Electronics, fit and finish are still good, even the Indonesian or Chinese stuff. The body wood however is crap on the cheaper stuff:rolleyes:. Agathis is about the same density as fir or cedar, so there is a definate lack of resonance. I recently bought a newer Peavey Zodiac EX ( yeah i know, 4 string, beginners pack guitar, yadda, yadda:blah:) but it suprised me in being alder bodied, excellent tuners, action, fit, intonation, etc. I would imagine thatmost any of their intermediate or upper end guitars would be great. Just my .02 cents (adjusted for inflation)

• Members

Of all the models you mentioned, I prefer the Ibanez SR series.

I think that the BTB series necks are way too huge.

I also think that the better Yamaha, the TRB, has 2 very distinct series (the old, set neck, and the new bolt-on) and I assume you mean the new. Either way, when I tried the old one (the better one), I found that the neck was huge and that the electronics sounded very unnatural to my ears.

When I tried the higher end Ibanez SR series (the one with the mahongany - I think it was mahogany - and Bartolini's), I thought that it was a decent instrument, although not phenomenal.

You can find that Ibanez series used I think for like $475 and the cheaper SR series for about $275-325 on the 'bay frequently.

Check them out. And, in general, I love Yamaha, but the Ibanez basses were overall better and a lot cheaper.

LouLoomis

Archived