Hi again..looking for suggestions fro a student

choirmom

• Members

Thanks to those who answered my previous question. My voice is slowly but surely getting better, and stronger. I refreshed my training on SLS a little, and the acid reducing med seems to working somewhat. I'm going to an ent on friday who will actually scope me instead of gagging me with a mirror, so maybe it will be ok eventually.

I'm here to ask some help for a student of mine. He is a wonderful singer, but he sings country. I'm not familiar with teaching students in this style. His vocie is a little more nasal than what appeals to me, but I'm not going to be one of those "everybody has to sing classical" teachers. That is the style he likes, so I'm trying to help him.

One of his huge problems is he has a wonderful ear, so good that every cover song he sings he sounds exactly like the person who originally did it, be it keith whitley, vince gill, or randy travis. (and yes his range is amazing. F below low c to double high C, the womans high C!) how can I help him stop impersonating? I've told him to find his own story to tell with every song, and that helps a little, but it's hard breaking through all these habits.

Next thing is a little less complicated: what do you do during an instrumental break if you're not playing an instrument? he doesn't want to just stand there and look dumb, but what do you do? this was something that always bothered me too. I always felt so dumb just standing there if I wasn't playing the piano...

TIA for help and suggestions!

• Members

I think these two questions are related: In both cases, your student doesn't seem to know how to be himself! About impersonation: You are right to tell him to look for the story in the song--this is in fact the most important lesson, and it is what separates (imho) the pros from the amateurs. If he is overwhelmed by the style of the original artist, try getting him to learn a song he's never heard before. Teach from sheet music. If he doesn't know the original version, he can't imitate it. Maybe this will force him to start trusting himself artistically.

About song breaks: Dance around a bit, play a little air guitar, grimace in ecstasy as the lead guitar soars into the stratosphere....:rolleyes: Actually, here's where imitation might help a little: Have him look at some DVDs from some of his preferred artists and copy the moves. There's a lot of performance videos on Youtube, of course, and so a lot of models to check out. You try tings out and imitate what you like and what feels right. Unless you're doing Elvis's pelvic gyrations or Chuck Berry's duckwalk :cool:, no one will identify a particular stage move with a particular artist. The only other alternative is learning some guitar. It's not that hard to get a few chords going.

Archived