Vocalists using effects pedals live...

pencil-in

• Members

I use TC Helicon's Voicetone Correct pedal (compression, EQ, de-essing, and pitch-correction) and VoiceTone Create pedal (reverb, delay, some modulation effects). These pedals are great :thu:--easy to use with great usable sounds.

Two comments:

1. I used to use a tiny amount of pitch correction live, but after recently being denounced as a heretic on this list, I have seen the light and stopped using pitch correction altogether--with the exception of using it for practicing purposes when I'm by myself (with the door locked, the shades pulled tight!:rolleyes:). I admit publicly and for the record that tossing pitch correction did little or nothing to my sound!

2. Vocal effects pedals imho do far more than anyone would ever need. Unless your creativity is focused on altering your voice, you're not likely to have much use for modulation (the telephone effect) or heavy pitch correction (the robotic Cher effect). Usually all one needs is a good reverb, and a reverb/delay combo. I use two settings (out of 100 or so) on the VoiceTone Create pedal, that's it. These two settings (as are most of them) are spectacular, so I don't feel ripped off, but I wish there were a way to not have to pay for the 98 settings that I don't use.

I'm not aware of any problems with using these pedals live, though if you're in a very big band I can imagine a sound man not liking the fact that the vocalist can control his/her effects from the stage.

• Members

Man, you're really better off just getting a TC VoiceTone Create pedal. It's essentially a vocal-ready pedal with a ton of different effects.

Even if you won't be using a lot of the effects, you'll be replacing a 4-space rack with a 2lb. pedal.

I'm currently using a TC Electronics G-Force for my effects. I bought it for my guitar rig, but am using it with my vocals now. I run an XLR-1/4" cable into the G-Force then a 1/4" out into a DI, then an XLR out to the board.

I've had this set up at the rehersal spot for the past 6 months and it's always worked fine. Next week I'm bringing it to the Middle East in Boston to try live....if there's any place I'll have an issue with it, it'll be there.

Archived