RAM question: Do I need matched pairs for a dual-channel RAM setup?

Crescent Seven

• Members

I just bought three 1gb RAM sticks for my computer, and discovered that it had 2x512mb sticks in it rather than 1x1gb. I put the three 1gb sticks in, and one of the 512's, and my system is saying it has 1.5gb of RAM.

Do I need to order another 1gb stick?

C7

Depends on the model motherboard and BIOS. Some require pairs and some don't.

• Members

You're going to at least want to match the timings of your dual channel ram, IIRC. The easiest way is to buy a dual channel set.

This issue is not dual channel related though. It's that two of your ram slots are not reading for some reason.

Lots of possibilities here.

1) Your motherboard only supports up to 2gb of ram and it's taking the 1gb and 512mb sticks first for some reason.

2) Something is up with the ram slot settings in your bios -- if it's set for dual channel chances are good it won't work. Most older mobos do not let you run dual channel with all 4 ram slots full.

What I would recommend is putting the 3 1gb in there and seeing what happens. Then, if it works, leave it the hell alone. You're not going to notice much improvement from 3gb-4gb unless you're doing crazy amounts of work.

Older motherboards used to require filling your ram slots in pairs of equal size but that went out with DDR or earlier. You should not need to do that.

Edited: Knowing the motherboard model and the settings on your ram would help. There should be a sticker on your ram that lists the CAS timings, or you can usually see it in the bios.

• Members

What I would recommend is putting the 3 1gb in there and seeing what happens. Then, if it works, leave it the hell alone. You're not going to notice much improvement from 3gb-4gb unless you're doing crazy amounts of work.

Close.

Windows XP 32 bit only recognizes up to 3.25gb of RAM no matter how much you have installed. I have 4 gb of RAM in my work computer simply because it's easier and cheaper to buy 4 1gb sticks.

Archived