Anyone do any inlay?

Rowka

• Members

I used to do some inlay work while I worked at Taylor.

Very, very, very meticulous work, but if it comes out good, well worth the time. I could not doing anything seriously crazy like vine style stuff, I would just do simple crosses, etc.. type of stuff similiar to those found on already produced guitars. Mainly because I would use their designs as templates.

• Members

I've messed with DIY inlay. Won't offer anything you should hang your hat on.

Tell ya what. One fun aspect of it is in the creativity inspired by covering up mistakes.

I'll change my mind and give you one piece of advice that you should hang your hat on: PRACTICE. Get something that you can mess up and it won't matter. Not only are you dealing with the positive and negative elements. You're also dealing with the depth that you cut. What if that's uneven? How do you compensate or mess around and cut a hole that's entirely too deep?

Then, what about the glue you're using? It's gotta go somewhere. If it oozes onto something, will that something be ok? I used bartop finish and that {censored} ruins stuff.

Best thing is to practice. Jump in and figure it out. Be patient. You gotta see if, personally, you have the eyes, hand and patience for doing inlays. If you screw someting up, are you gonna kill yourself, or are you gonna take it as creative opportunity??

Do it!

• Members

I have an engraving machine for such things - do both my positives and negatives with it, and use illustrator to generate both.

That would rock:thu:

I've done a little old-school with a router and chisels. Finicky {censored}ing work. Not on a bass, in someones floor. A dozen woodcarved roses inlaid in the main hallway, took me 6 days to get them all in. Did I mention it was finicky {censored}ing work?

• Members

I have an engraving machine for such things - do both my positives and negatives with it, and use illustrator to generate both.

Really? What is it? A pantograph? Used a few in the Navy, and always wondered if they could be outfitted to do that. Do you use templates, cutters, and spacer bushings like you use with a router for "dutchman" style patchwork? Any pics? I'm really currious!

Archived