Rockabilly Upright amp?

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Playing my upright in a new rockabilly band and need a bigger amp. Its not a physco-thrash super loud band, but I need more amp than for the typical country or jazz gig. Right now, my old SWR Workingmans 12 aint really cutting it.

Im thinking 400-600 watts or more,and a 4x10 cab( or 2 2x10s if I could afford it) or possibly a single 2x12 cab.

What are the best bang for the buck deals out there in this config?

• Members

You want to find something that let's the sound of your bass come through without coloring it. I use a GK 700 RB set flat into an Eden CXM 1x12 cabinet for my upright. The larger WM 15 does a very good job with the upright. I'd stay away from the AMpeg's, Mesa's and others that have "their" sound. Look for a cabinet that has a good frequency response up high because that is where much of tyour upright's tone comes from. If you get something that cuts off int he mid area (like the SVTs) you will get a very muddy sound.

Some people swear by the Acoustic Image amps and the Euphonic Audio cabinets but they are pricey.

• Members

IMO, the most important thing to consider for Rockabilly upright, is to ensure you get a full range speaker. Most bass cabs just don't cut it.

The best Rockabilly upright sound I've ever heard, the guy was using a JBL EON powered speaker like this one. And I think he was running a 200-300 watter. Can't remember.

Also, that's not to say that you shouldn't consider anything with more power. Just don't assume that will solve your problems. When I go see bands with URB, the BIGGEST problem I often see is bassists and sound guys that don't know how to dial in a good URB tone.

Dialing in a good tone will overcome your "can't be heard" problems over 75% of the time (especially with URB). Another 20% is turning down the guitard. The last 5% is not enough power in your rig.

Yes, those are gross generalizations... But that's just in my professional experiences. :idk:

• Members

The reason the Eon sounds so good is that it is designed to applify the sound without coloring it. There are bass amps and cabinets that do the same thing. If you are going to use a PA speaker you will need a subwoofer and a crossover to keep from shredding the speaker cone in the top cabinet.

Audiopile makes a great DI that I frequently use to play Bertha directly through the PA.

• Members

The reason the Eon sounds so good is that it is designed to applify the sound without coloring it.

Partially correct. It's also because it's a full-range speaker.

There are bass amps and cabinets that do the same thing.

Mostly incorrect. Most bass amps and cabinets are designed around electric bass... not upright, or even acoustic bass.

If you are going to use a PA speaker you will need a subwoofer and a crossover to keep from shredding the speaker cone in the top cabinet.

Entirely incorrect... especially if you are using a self-powered cab.

• Members

Mostly incorrect. Most bass amps and cabinets are designed around electric bass... not upright, or even acoustic bass.

Makes sense to me.

I'm gonna try out the Eons and even some Peaveys. A 12 might work better than a 15 with upright. 15s can get flabby, altho I realize these are full range speakers with horn and crossover.

I'll try both, my guess is the 15s have a bigger amps inside.

• Members

Makes sense to me.

I'm gonna try out the Eons and even some Peaveys. A 12 might work better than a 15 with upright. 15s can get flabby, altho I realize these are full range speakers with horn and crossover.

I defintely think it's worth checking out. And you might not like it. What works from one person may not work for the next. :idk:

But like you said, thinking outside the box is never a bad thing. And shopping is the fun part anyway (IMO). :thu:

• Members

Well of course it is. What good would it be to anybody if it wasn't?

You seem to have missed the word "Some".

While the self-powered cab may not self-destruct it also won't push much of anything below 55Hz. I guarantee my E string will missing a large part of its oomf without a system that goes low enough. I can't speak for your instrument.

You should know I play quite frequently through just the PA using Yorkie 508s and it sounds a lot better with the 808 subs under them. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

Well of course it is. What good would it be to anybody if it wasn't?

That wasn't my point. Your post was worded to say that the ONLY reason it sounded good was because it didn't "color" the sound. My point was, URB sounds a lot better (to me) when it comes through a full range cab (i.e. 20Hz-20KHz) with a flat response. Most bass amps/cabs do not have a flat frequency response across that range. In fact, there are very few that can even come near it.

You seem to have missed the word "Some".

I didn't miss it... it just wasn't there. :idk: But you're right. There are some out there... SOME. That doesn't mean that's the only option for URB though. There's nothing wrong with going to a different section of the music store to find something that works for you.

While the self-powered cab may not self-destruct it also won't push much of anything below 55Hz.

I don't think that's needed in the least for URB.

I guarantee my E string will missing a large part of its oomf without a system that goes low enough.

And all I was saying that all that "oomf" from a URB will cause it to be lost in the mix. That'll even hold true for electric as well.

You should know I play quite frequently through just the PA using Yorkie 508s and it sounds a lot better with the 808 subs under them. Your mileage may vary.

And that's the thing... it's all about personal taste. ;)

But from this listener's perspective, too much low end from a URB does nothing for its tone or its ability to carry a room. And when I say "too much", I'm saying it doesn't take a lot to lose it. Electric bass is a helluva lot more forgiving in that respect.

I wasn't trying to say my way was the right way. I was just relaying an anecdote that seemed pertinent to the thread. If the OP tries it and doesn't like it... I don't care. I just don't think anyone should go shopping with tunnel vision, misinformation, or both. :idk:

• Members

SWR Blonde

I started to make the same recommendation, but OP is talking major amperage compared to them. I have the strawberry. Strawberry is only 90 and the California is 120 - 160 at 4 ohms with extension speaker.

• Members

>>> The obvious choice is a good sized GK head and a 2x10 or 4x10 cab. Ashdowns also seem to be popular.

>>> Thanks, I'm sure it does,hoping for someting not quite so pricey, but it prob dosnt exist.

>> Pretty close to the same thing I have now.

Bose L-1 system!>>>>

I'll have to ponder that one a while.

Thanks all, keep em coming.

Has anybody tried this rather large combo out?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-310C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480765

• Members

I just bought the Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine. I run it with 2 1X12 powerhouse speakers. It is without a doubt the very best Rockabilly Upright tone I have ever heard in my life.

Man, I just tried the M6 with one 112 over the weekend...

Holey carp, do I want that rig!!!

:love: :love:

Archived