Network TV.

s4001

• Members

I'll start in the outset by saying that I watch statistically no network TV.

Having said that....

I came home from jogging last nite and my wife was watching some TV show on one of the network stations. Some cop/crime/csi/lawyer show. Whatever.

All I can say is HOLD THE {censored}ING CAMERA STILL FOR ONE GODDAM SECOND!!!! I need to get a serious drinking problem, then I, too, could get a job as a cameraman in Hollywood.

What the {censored} is up with constant shaky camera syndrome and how can anyone watch that {censored}?

/rant

• Members

it's a cheap trick to provide the illusion that the scene unfolding is more "real" by giving the impression that the camera is the eyes if a person in the scene. Or in other cases (The Shield is the show that comes to mind) it's to make the show seem grittier.

Basically...some years back, some douchebag figured out that people watching the same scene on a jerky camera had a different psychological response than people who saw it through a steady camera.

• Members
I need to get a serious drinking problem, then I, too, could get a job as a cameraman in Hollywood.

What the {censored} is up with constant shaky camera syndrome and how can anyone watch that {censored}?

/rant

Ever since "Homicide: Life on the Streets" they've been using that to make shows look more "real"."real Stoopid is more like it!

• Members

Agreed. A little shakey-cam for some fast street action maybe. Bob-n-weave for a scene where everyone's sitting down in an office? Like you strapped a camera to Robin William's head? No please.

Questionable trivia: In the 1971 movie The French Connection, they gave the cameraman a handheld camera for some street scenes. And then didn't tell him exactly where the actors were going to act. So he had to move around and shoot between and around stuff. They didn't overdo it though.

Archived