Rio Grande Pickups

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Yeah I am thinkin a P/J set is in my future, I just wanted to see if anybody has used them, or have had bad experiences. My curiosity was perked when I saw the powerbucker, but I can't find anything on it, and I don't feel like doing a $120 experiment just to find out it sucks.

• Members

Their site used to give a little info on the flavors of the various pups. But now nothing. No idea what a Muy Grande sounds like next to a Powerbucker or a Pitbull. :( They do have a chart that lists the DC resistance. But like Bill Laurence says, that's not much of the story.

• Members

I had both a P (as fruno said) and a J in an SX P/J bass. Individually, the pickups were great. Very hot and punchy as has been said before.

Unfortunately, together, they didn't sound good with the stock SX electronics. I never did replace the electronics since I didn't really like the way the bass played. It got sold to mlwarriner and I don't know where the pickups went from there.

I have sound samples of the P and J Muy Grandes at home.

Both beam and I would love to get a Powerbucker in a bass. I've toyed with the idea of routing out my Ibby P/J for such a task, but I'm not quite sure it's worth the effort. It's hard to find info on the Powerbucker, IMO.

Dustin

• Members

I had both a P (as fruno said) and a J in an SX P/J bass. Individually, the pickups were great. Very hot and punchy as has been said before.

Unfortunately, together, they didn't sound good with the stock SX electronics. I never did replace the electronics since I didn't really like the way the bass played. It got sold to mlwarriner and I don't know where the pickups went from there.

I have sound samples of the P and J Muy Grandes at home.

Both beam and I would love to get a Powerbucker in a bass. I've toyed with the idea of routing out my Ibby P/J for such a task, but I'm not quite sure it's worth the effort. It's hard to find info on the Powerbucker, IMO.

Dustin

So did you have both of em runnin together on the same bass or were they on seperate basses (the P and J)? Sorry its hard to follow something if you have to keep hiding your windows and looking over your shoulder because of the managers.

• Members

So did you have both of em runnin together on the same bass or were they on seperate basses (the P and J)? Sorry its hard to follow something if you have to keep hiding your windows and looking over your shoulder because of the managers.

Sorry. They were installed in an SX P/J bass. Both pickups wide-open sounded rather "hollow," for lack of a better term. It may have been that they were both rather hot, as with the Muy P and SX J, the blend was quite nice. Like I said, I should have changed out the electronics, but I never did.

• Members

Sorry. They were installed in an SX P/J bass. Both pickups wide-open sounded rather "hollow," for lack of a better term. It may have been that they were both rather hot, as with the Muy P and SX J, the blend was quite nice. Like I said, I should have changed out the electronics, but I never did.

Interesting.

• Members

Sorry. They were installed in an SX P/J bass. Both pickups wide-open sounded rather "hollow," for lack of a better term.

That was something in the installation . one was out of phase. I had the same on my 78p with Rio's and went back over the wiring and was absolutely shocked at the difference.

• Members

"Hollow" is a good description for out of phase...I'm guessing that was it.

I would hope so, as they are not the cheapest on the planet, and apart people say they are quite schweet. Not saying anything against IWLP's wiring skills, as mine are most likely inferior to his... even though he is an Oklahoman:poke:

Archived