Moral of this story: Always bring a backup bass.

der oxenrig

• Members

Today, I ran sound for a Middle Eastern/Arabian musical performance at my school. The performers consisted of dumbek, tablas, oud, 5-string violin, acoustic guitarist/vocalist, and fretless bassplayer.

The gig went off pretty much without a hitch, except for the fact that the third percussionist got arrested before the gig (:facepalm:). Right before the last song though, the bassplayer's active bass shorted out. I gave him a spare cable, thinking it was the cable, but no luck. He had another performance later that night, and he had no spare bass. :facepalm:

So yes, the moral of this story is to ALWAYS bring a spare bass.

• Members

Interesting. Would like to have heard what Kind of sounds they where producing;)

That happened to me once. Was a solder joint on the input jack. sounded like a dodgy lead (intermittent cutting out) ...thought it was my lead the pedal then other lead .. took me a song and a half to work out it was the bass, lucky I had a spare

• Members

Today, I ran sound for a Middle Eastern/Arabian musical performance at my school. The performers consisted of dumbek, tablas, oud, 5-string violin, acoustic guitarist/vocalist, and fretless bassplayer.

The gig went off pretty much without a hitch, except for the fact that the third percussionist got arrested before the gig (
:facepalm:
). Right before the last song though, the bassplayer's active bass shorted out. I gave him a spare cable, thinking it was the cable, but no luck. He had another performance later that night, and he had no spare bass.
:facepalm:

So yes, the moral of this story is to ALWAYS bring a spare bass.

I learned this lesson the hard way. I used to always bring at least two basses to every gig. Well about 2 years ago I played a show where my input jack was.. well jacked, and of course I only brought the one bass for this show. The ground wire disconnected from the jack and well there was no bass playing for my band for the rest of the evening. Totally embarrasing, and as you said ealier ALWAYS bring two bases no matter what, you never know what's going to happen. Worst part was a bass player from another band had amp issues and asked to use mine.. I let him use my rig, but he didn't exactly return the favor when my bass was broke.. so yeah two bases always!

• Members

Passive instruments don't short out. Been gigging for thirty years and never had an instrument go bad at a gig.

That's not true . Pots an jacks can {censored} out , If a solder joint cracks etc your bass will not work.

I'm not dissing passives . It's all I use.

• Members

Interesting. I would like to have heard what it was like to do sound for them.

Yo.

Somewhat of a pain in the ass. The oud player kept re-tuning in between each song, so I had to mute him. Plus, each instrument would have a solo, so I'd have to boost them whenever they had one.

Otherwise it was fun.

• Members

anyways, taking an active bass that you had the same batteries in for a long time, and not changing them before the gig is quite irresponsible. i always keep 2 fresh batteries in each of my instruments' cases... just in case.

Every 6 months, regardless of use, and a backup for each active bass on the gig.

I've had passive basses crap out too.

• Members

I don't know what you guys are doing to your instruments. I've been doing this for thirty years and NEVER had an instrument crap out on me. I've had cables go bad, I carry extra cables. I've had strings break, I carry extra strings. But I do not carry an extra instrument.

If it is properly maintained your instrument is not going to cause you any problems at any gig. If you don't keep it up that is a different story entirely.

I learned early in my music career to maintain my own instruments and have not had anyone else work on any of the electric basses I have had. (I do have work done on my upright by a qualified luthier.) I routinely pull the pick guard and the cover over the knobs and check the connections, the posts and anything else in the circuits. I loosen the tension when I am storing the instrument and I change the strings frequently. That's what I consider routine maintenance

As for throwing an instrument, I use straplocks to keep it where it belongs.

YMMV

• Members

I maintain both my basses well and still would never bring just one bass to a gig, there is too much to chance IMO. Anything can happen. Plus, an additional bass is an additional option. I would never bring more than two though(all I own right now anyway).

I think by getting up on a pedastal and saying your basses are so gingerly pampered that nothing has or will ever gone wrong with them is serving yourself a dollop of bad karma...

• Members

I also maintain and treat my basses well, but I've still had 2 barrel type jacks get sketchy on my MTD Kingston. The jacks themselves started to have trouble making a solid contact inside the jack, and there's not much to do to them but replace them. The solder joints were fine btw. The current jack works fine with my Monster cables, but cuts in and out using cheaper cables (with apparently slightly smaller ends?). {censored} happens and a high horse isn't gonna finish my gig for me when it does. ;)

• Members

I maintain both my basses well and still would never bring just one bass to a gig, there is too much to chance IMO. Anything can happen. Plus, an additional bass is an additional option. I would never bring more than two though(all I own right now anyway).

I think by getting up on a pedastal and saying your basses are so gingerly pampered that nothing has or will ever gone wrong with them is serving yourself a dollop of bad karma...

Fact:

Pete Townsend brings 70 (yes, seventy) guitars to his gigs!:facepalm:

• Members

Amazing considering he only hears one tone lately.

Seriously.

I never really had an opinion on him before, until I saw that top gear episode where Jeremy told him he had too much gear, and he actually seemed to get pissed off that someone would dare suggest such a thing :lol:

Archived