how to attain more tension on MIM J ???

78pbass

• Members

My buddy brings me his MIM J-bass for a set up. It plays well and is in excellent shape, but it's strings are just loose feeling. It has a BAII, QP's and currently strung with D'A XL110's (what I normally play). The neck is straight and has ~.040" relief at the 7th when first and last fret are used to straight-edge.

It plays fine for me when played fingerstyle, but the owner plays with a pick and has semi-sloppy right hand technique.

I have some ideas about how I want to approach it but want to hear yours first to ensure I haven't missed anything.

thanks in advance!

• Members

I've seen some lengthy discussions here about string tensions and it's more of a brand thing than a setup issue. Someone here posted a great scale of various brands of string and their tensions.

Bump.

• Members

I never saw anything to like with D'A strings. One of my complaints was tension.

I think I would take a little more relief out, say down to .020/.030" and raise the saddles.

Not all the MIM necks are as stiff as USA counterparts, maybe none.

My .02

• Moderators

Tension is a function of tuning frequency, scale length and the strings unit weight. For your situation you can't change two of those "variables." You can use different strings though. Higher unit weight = more tension at a given frequency and scale length. However, since your complaint was loose feel, you probably aren't concerned about tension as much as string stiffness. A hex core string will generally feel stiffer than a round core string.

• Members

Tension is a function of tuning frequency, scale length and the strings unit weight. For your situation you can't change two of those "variables." You can use different strings though. Higher unit weight = more tension at a given frequency and scale length. However, since your complaint was loose feel, you probably aren't concerned about tension as much as string stiffness. A hex core string will generally feel stiffer than a round core string.

Neck stiffness is definitely a factor at work here - I can flat it by a quarter step will reasonably little effort by applying torsion to the fretboard at the nut to 4th fret, not affecting the neck joint to the body. Said differently, I can alter pitch by applying force at the back of the headstock with my thumb.

Strung with the same strings, my laminated neck ATK has little flex.

The neck joint is another contributing factor I want to investigate. Knowing MIM Fenders, I wouldnt be surprised if I found debris or intentionally placed items as shims. Who knows!

That said, I like the perspective you added and knowing I cannot stiffen the neck without major surgery, that may be an idea to try the hex core strings you initially mentioned. Any other ideas spring to mind?

• Members

The ATK's have big old necks on em don't they? Every J I've played, including my Sterling which has a thin J like profile, can be pulled relatively easy, unlike a P bass neck, which is more difficult. I can fret out my bass by pulling on the headstock.

• Members

bumpo for day peeps

I too vote for different strings. I assume the 110 means the E is a 110? If it is, that's about as thick a string as you can get for an E.

Larger diameter string will provide more tension but in this case it sounds like you should use another brand. My $0.02.

FWIW I have the same bass and never had a tension issue with it with fingers or picking.

Archived