Built a buffing station yesterday.

BeeTL

• Members

I was looking at the StewMac complete buffer setup, then linked over to the Shop Stand they sell and had an epiphany...I can do that with what I've got already.

Behold the Ultimate Bicycle Repair Stand buffing station:

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

The motor mount holes are slotted, so belt tension can be adjusted and maintained with the clevises.

I'll use a remote router switch for power on/off.

• Members

BTW, I've used StewMac's Colortone series of buffing polishes with a small 3" diameter low-speed air buffer, and it works great! Biggest thing is keeping straight which set of wheels/pads are for which grit. So finally I started putting them in ziplocks and writing the grit on the baggie.

I was amazed at the quality of the polishes, and the finishes they produced.

• Members

So exactly what is the white body with the twin shafts? Is that something specialized from StewMac?

I'd have just bought a buffing motor with long shafts, but then again, I have access to industrial suppliers and you probably don't, so yeah, work with what you have, and build custom equipment. That's how the Industrial Revolution was started!

• Members

So exactly what is the white body with the twin shafts? Is that something specialized from StewMac?

I'd have just bought a buffing motor with long shafts, but then again, I have access to industrial suppliers and you probably don't, so yeah, work with what you have, and build custom equipment. That's how the Industrial Revolution was started!

It's an idler shaft in a housing. Bearings at each end. Pullies in the middle.

Speed can be changed, if desired, by changing pullies. Like if you wind up with larger or smaller diameter buff pads.

Archived