Strange Pickups/Preamp/Wiring/Luthier Question...

guitargod0dmw

• Members

I'm gassing megahard for a Spector NS2, Euro LX-4, or a Warwick Streamer Stage 1...with P/J setup. I'd really like to have it in a 5 string model...but I can't afford that as it would most likely be custom. So...plan B!

I've got my Warwick Thumb 5. It's already had some extensive work done on it...with the whole broken truss rod situation. I bought it used, it's all dinged up...I really don't care what happens to it.

It's got the slanted J/J pickups on it...stock with a stock pre. They will be changed. I know I want the EMG P/J5 set. As I see it now, I've got a few options.

Option 1: Route a spot in the body for the P pickup. Install J pickup in stock location. Purchase 2nd J pickup to install in other stock location. Put in new preamp of choice.

*This is where it gets complicated :)*

If I essentially have 3 pickups to choose from (P/J/J), and I'd like to retain the ability to blend between the two J pickups...and add the ability to blend the P pickup in, how the fak do I do that?

Right now I've got Volume/Blend/Mid,Bass Stack

Can I do: Volume,Blend Stack(J/J)/Volume,Blend Stack(P)/Mid,Bass Stack

The first volume/blend Stack would be used just as the stock controls are. Volume for both J pickups, and a blend between the two.

The second volume/blend stack would be used as volume for the P pickup, and a blend between the P and the other J pickups...if that makes any sense.

Option 2: Route a spot in the face of the body that will essentially make a swimming pool route. Fill in that spot with a plug of filler wood. Start from scratch with the routing and just route for a normal P/J setup...

Obviously, it would be difficult to find a piece of wood that will match up with my grain, so it would look kinda funny.

What preamp would you use for all of this? I'm clearly going for the Spector tone here (think Newsted on The Black Album, Rex Brown, and Mike Inez even though he plays a Streamer)...and I'd like to use a Spector Tonepump, but I doubt I could do the electronics in option 1 with it.

GAS :facepalm:

• Members

I would LUB a Streamer I 5 in P/J... wow.
:love:

Exactly. I'll gladly take an NS-5XL or a Euro 5LX in P/J instead...but it ain't gonna happen. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Euro 4LX...but I'm not sure I can get down on the 4. I'll have to play my 4 stringers in a band environment again before I can make that call. I think I'd miss the low B too much...

• Members

Agreed.

TBH, I think your idea towards the 3-pickup config is best. I know it can be done- just look at Bootsy's stuff and the Yamaha James Lomenzo plays. They have like 5 or 6 each! I wonder if you could dig up some dirt on how those are wired up and with what? A Thumb 5 in P/J/J would be pretty {censored}ing sick dude. :)

• Members

EMG has a 5 string P pup in a soapbar package.

You should be able to rout the neck J open for the soapbar without trouble.

That's the thing...it's not really your standard J/J...they're both really close to the bridge, and they're both slanted. There is a ton of room above them for a P pickup...

The two J's are so close together it's almost like a single H near the bridge...

• Members

That's the thing...it's not really your standard J/J...they're both really close to the bridge, and they're both slanted. There is a ton of room above them for a P pickup...and it would probably be able to go in the standard spot.

The two J's are so close together it's almost like a single H near the bridge...

0275081054BDBPOWPW_01.jpg

Exactly. Plenty of room to leave 2 J's and still throw a P in there.

Archived