String tension and action

Kaesh

• Members

Does the tension of the strings have a noticeable effect on how low you can set the action? It seems logical that thicker/more tense strings have a smaller amplitude when resonating and therefore you can set them lower than thinner/looser strings. Is this a noticeable effect? I have never heard about that, but seems kinda obvious. I have never a/bed different thicknesses of the same strings on the same bass to study it seriously either, but I have been rehearsing a lot on a friend's bass recently and it occurred to me... :confused:

• Members

Monsters? There're monsters?

:eek:

Basses are doing great - getting ready to ship two and jumping in to 4 more. String company should be stood up in two weeks or so - monster strings for most basses.

To the OP - depending on the strings, and particularly on the thicker ones, while you would think that output might be affected because of less excursion/amplitude, because of higher presence of harmonics there is little to no difference in total volume.

• Members

Monsters? There're monsters?

:eek:

Basses are doing great - getting ready to ship two and jumping in to 4 more. String company should be stood up in two weeks or so - monster strings for most basses.

To the OP - depending on the strings, and particularly on the thicker ones, while you would think that output might be affected because of less excursion/amplitude, because of higher presence of harmonics there is little to no difference in total volume.

Cool, but what does this have to do with the original post :confused:

Glad to hear your bass business is great :wave:

Archived