String Tensions

• Members

So, went to get a new set of flats on Saturday. Bunk store I went to only had Fenders. Threw em on, and found they were really very different from the other flats i've used (TI, and something I hardly recall a long time ago). These seem to have very high tension (the strings I removed were DR lo-riders) especially in comparison to other flats. This irritates me, since I like a lower tension string to avoid tendon issues. Is there a place where one can compare tensions across brands/types? Am i the only one who cares? I don't know. Worst part is, I really cannot afford to replace them for a while, I am very strict with budgeting after the kid. So, sitting here with aching wrist and hand, wondering what to do.

• Members

Fixed.

no doubt...should have never switch off the TI's in the first place...thought i'd try roundwounds, gave em 6 mos, and wanted to go back to flat...should just not have compromised on the fender strings....

maybe i'll assemble a spreadsheet on the tensions

• Members

There is no easy resource for what you want, but IME you want TI Jazz flats. They are the lowest tension flat I know.

Yes.

Also think about the Light D'Addario Chromes, or the La Bella 760FX set for a more traditional flats sound.

• Members

So how does one figure string tension? I have a buddy who asked me to set up his Skyline 55-01 and he wants the tightest B string possible. He also likes thumpy tones (he loved the flats on my fretless when he borrowed it) so I'm thinking flats, ground wounds or half rounds. What kind of diameters should I be looking for to get the tightest feeling strings?

• Members

So how does one figure string tension? I have a buddy who asked me to set up his Skyline 55-01 and he wants the tightest B string possible. He also likes thumpy tones (he loved the flats on my fretless when he borrowed it) so I'm thinking flats, ground wounds or half rounds. What kind of diameters should I be looking for to get the tightest feeling strings?

Check out this:

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

The, as far as I know, only full set of tension data for bass strings out there.

For flats, D'Addario makes a .132 B string. There aren't a lot of good 5 string sets out there in flats, half rounds, or ground wounds.

• Members

everyone,

i am going to attempt to assemble a comprehensive string tension chart, across multiple brands. We'll see how it goes, and i'll post it when its done.

• Members

everyone,

i am going to attempt to assemble a comprehensive string tension chart, across multiple brands. We'll see how it goes, and i'll post it when its done.

Who else publishes string tension data? TI and D'Addario are the only two I know of. I would love to see DR tension data.

• Members

I usually schedule a retreat in some remote location where all my strings can, without distraction, work out their disagreements. Doing this regularly goes a long way towards keeping tensions down.

:)

Are you saying TI Jazz Flats are really La Bella Jamerson flats that have had some good therapy?

• Members

everyone,

I would LOVE this. :love: I want my string height low, yet my action easy. So I assume I require a bit higher tension strings.

• Members

I'm afraid you'll get a lot of, "we're sorry, that is a company secret that makes our strings the very finest blah, blah, blah."

maybe, but i don't think the tension is some sort of secret, after all, if they say no, i can always measure it

• Moderators

maybe, but i don't think the tension is some sort of secret, after all, if they say no, i can always measure it

A year or two back I called and emailed a bunch of companies and got this data. Many are willing to help. Others not so much. You'll have enough data to find what you're looking for. I might be mistaken, but I believe greenboy at talkbass has already compiled some of the information. Let me go look for it.

edit: not what I was looking for

• Moderators

I have a buddy who asked me to set up his Skyline 55-01 and he wants the tightest B string possible. He also likes thumpy tones (he loved the flats on my fretless when he borrowed it) so I'm thinking flats, ground wounds or half rounds. What kind of diameters should I be looking for to get the tightest feeling strings?

The tightest? A huge flat wound string with a hexagonal core. The higher unit weight increases the tension and the hexagonal core reduces the flexibility. Of course, he might hate the sound of that. ;) The best bet, is to simply go for a larger gauge string that matches his preference for materials and construction.

• Members

All I saw on Greenboy's site was the D'Addario chart.

BTW, if you have fun with math, you can find the eq's on line for frequency versus string tension and mass. The difficulty is that bass strings are multiple windings, IE, one, two, maybe even three windings around a center filament. The tension only matters on the filament really, but all of the wraps apply to the entire mass of the string. So, although the equations would be valid for nearby tunings on the same company's make-model-gage of string, and possibly one gage up or down, it could be wildly incorrect to compare a G with an E.

• Members

The only variable on a given bass is the string's unit weight. The higher the unit weight, the greater the tension. In general, higher gauge strings tend to have higher unit weights. In addition, flats tend to have higher unit weights than comparable gauge rounds. There are exceptions to every rule since the material compositions are variables.

The tightest? A huge flat wound string with a hexagonal core. The higher unit weight increases the tension and the hexagonal core reduces the flexibility. Of course, he might hate the sound of that.
;)
The best bet, is to simply go for a larger gauge string that matches his preference for materials and construction.

Thanks for the tips. I was initially just going to go with a larger

• Members

Yea, just try contacting the companies directly. D'addario has a string chart and I contacted Ernie Ball for info once and they were helpful. They didn't give me a chart but told me tensions for specific gauges and types of strings. One thing I noticed was that the nickel roundwounds for D'addario and Ernie Ball were pretty much identical in terms of tension for the same gauge string at the same tuning...

Archived