Chest pains

Kentrel

• Members

I've noticed that whenever I do relatively strenuous singing exercise I have chest pains the next day. This might be just a coincidence, but I've noticed it before. After taking a break from singing lessons I had another session last night, and today it hurts again when I laugh. I know its not my heart, because I'm young and good health and was all clear on an ECG recently

It seems muscular, like I strained whatever muscle is used when I make loud sounds (like shouting or laughing). Anyone know if this is common?

• Members

Do you do any diaphragmatic breathing exercises? If you're not using correct breathing techniques, it wouldn't be hard to imagine chest pains as the first sign of it. It sounds like you may have developed a habit of "belting" and you're straining your chest muscles to do it.

• Members

Do you do any diaphragmatic breathing exercises? If you're not using correct breathing techniques, it wouldn't be hard to imagine chest pains as the first sign of it. It sounds like you may have developed a habit of "belting" and you're straining your chest muscles to do it.

I do, but maybe not enough of them, and when I'm doing singing exercises that take me to the limits of what my voice can do I usually focus on improving there rather than breathing. I'll focus on my breathing again and see how that works

• Members

I've noticed that whenever I do relatively strenuous singing exercise I have chest pains the next day.It seems muscular, like I strained whatever muscle is used when I make loud sounds (like shouting or laughing). Anyone know if this is common?

I'm in my low 40's and I'm whipped after a 3 hour show on the stage. And I'm overweight and outta shape for all intended purposes. My diaphram feels like Jenna Jamison's hoo-hoo after a fresh shoot! I've learned that being only a singer (I stopped playing guitar on stage a few years ago) who belts out and sings in their upper range...singing is a physical chore on the body.

I'm a drinker but don't drink while performing. I've even taken an Advil before hitting the stage a few times, which helped. My guess is you need to work on your breathing techniques and delivery? But without seeing you sing, that's just an educated guess.

And stretch out before you sing!!

• Members

I do, but maybe not enough of them, and when I'm doing singing exercises that take me to the limits of what my voice can do I usually focus on improving there rather than breathing. I'll focus on my breathing again and see how that works

Hope it works out for you. Remember, singing is just like any other exercise/activity. There is a reason we feel pain, it's our brain's way of alerting us to a problem. If you're feeling pain while singing consistently, you're going to injure something.

• Members

If you only felt it while singing, it's just a matter of stretching the "muscles" same as while exercising. But be sure to check it out with a doctor. There might be beyond the mere aches. Better be sure than be sorry.

• Members

Dude.. maybe you can shed some more light onto this? I'm trying growling/screaming type vocals and I've finally made myself sing from the stomach (the diaphragm), but if I do it like for 2-3 mins, the next day I'll have the same exact chest paing as the author of the thread. Having eliminated all other reasons, I've come to think it's my diaphragm hurting. What kind of exercises are there to ease this? I'm no vocalist, but we can't find anyone who's into our music so I just thought I'd step up to the mic.

Thanks.

• Members

I've noticed that whenever I do relatively strenuous singing exercise I have chest pains the next day. This might be just a coincidence, but I've noticed it before. After taking a break from singing lessons I had another session last night, and today it hurts again when I laugh. I know its not my heart, because I'm young and good health and was all clear on an ECG recently

It seems muscular, like I strained whatever muscle is used when I make loud sounds (like shouting or laughing). Anyone know if this is common?

I had and sometimes have similar muscle aches in my chest and back. Coughing or taking deep breaths, like for singing was painful. Like you I went to the doctor and had a perfect ECG. I'm really super healthy too!

If your doctor still can't find anything, it could be muscular. I lift weights and find keeping the chest muscles strong and stretched helps.

Also, keep your chest warm, especially in cold weather. I went sking when it was really windy and cold, about 21 degrees. Yep. I was hurting afterward. You can also take a warm bath in Epsom or even better, Dead Sea Salts. If the doctor says your heart is o.k., try not to worry as stress can tighten your muscles even more creating a vicious cycle. Prayin' for you man!

• Members

I agree with the doctor comments man! Get checked, and if you're breathing is {censored}e, I would say take up some cardio. Nothing helps a guy's range and pitched delivery more than being able to run a marathon! Also, if you're going to belt burly, screamy stuff, learn a few tricks on how to use your reserve tanks of air with yoru floating ribs, where your pitching those sounds from, and learnt hat it's about texture, not volume when you do that sort of thing.

I know, I know, n00b suggestion, but the Zen of Screaming is a great starting place for that sort of thing. Just give it some time, and up your activity level, it could be adult onset asthma... so be careful talk to your doc, and go forward cautiously...

-Curtis

• Members

Thanks for your comments. I actually already saw a doctor about this problem - I ended up speaking to 4 doctors and 2 nurses in total about this. At the time I didn't realise what was the cause, but after all their tests (chest xrays, ECG, etc) they concluded it was muscular. I didn't tell them at the time I was doing a lot of singing as I didn't realise there could be a connection, but I now know that there are a lot more muscles involved than just the vocal chords!

I now realise that it must be related to how I sing because I'm getting the same thing, lasting for about a day, after I do very strenuous singing exercises. Some of the suggestions in the thread are good, so I'm going to apply those.

Thanks, though I do recommend that if anyone has the same issues as I have to run it through with a doctor to eliminate anything that might serious.

• Members

Dude.. maybe you can shed some more light onto this? I'm trying growling/screaming type vocals and I've finally made myself sing from the stomach (the diaphragm), but if I do it like for 2-3 mins, the next day I'll have the same exact chest paing as the author of the thread. Having eliminated all other reasons, I've come to think it's my diaphragm hurting. What kind of exercises are there to ease this? I'm no vocalist, but we can't find anyone who's into our music so I just thought I'd step up to the mic.

Thanks.

The simplest diaphragm exercise is this:

Take a few slow, deep breaths concentrating on your diaphragm. After you've done this, take another deep breath and make an 's' sound. Do it softly until you are completely out of breath, but keep it consistent. It will add a bit of resistance versus simply exhaling and you can hear how consistent your airflow is. I can do this at a moderate volume for 15-20 seconds, which is not very long(I'm a smoker :rolleyes: ). After you can do that exercise without too much trouble, switch to a 'sh' sound.

That said, I really can't see your diaphragm being the issue. As I said, I'm a heavy smoker so I don't have nearly the lung capacity of a non-smoker so I really have to use my diaphragm effectively to sing. Try the exercises, see if you continue having the chest pains. Try to focus on keeping certain muscles relaxed while you do them, everything around your ribcage should be relaxed. You don't need many of the muscles above your sternum to make your voice work.

Archived