Rare/Legal Mp3 downloads

dravenzouk

• Members

I'm in the midst of a large project digitizing all my music collection. Trying to end up with EVERYTHING on a hard-drive and/or available for my iPod. Over the years I've converted a lot of stuff I had on vinyl/cassette/minidisc and now I'm running into walls on a few oddball titles.

Some things I had no choice but to convert from analog to digital, like albums that were never available as CDs or Mp3s, and taped live shows etc. But if possible I prefer to get good clean digital versions of everything.

The problem I'm having is with a few titles that I know are available digitally, but I can't seem to get them or the price is way too high. Some of these I've found on Amazon or 7digital for a good price as Mp3 downloads; but I can't purchase/download them here in the US - they are only available on the UK versions of the sites. Grrrr. I can buy the import CDs but the cost is usually too steep. I've used eMusic for years (and love it) but I've kind of dried up that source.

So........does anyone have any good suggestions on sources to download rare/OOP/oddball Mp3s that I might be missing?

I'm not interested in anything illegal - I'd like to do it right and stay above board, and I will certainly pay fair price. I've dabbled some in the whole bit torrent world and honestly it all seems WAY too complex - I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing and it's a bit scary.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with places like Mp3Panda or Mp3Fiesta? They seem kinda dodgy to me (but cheap!) and I don't like some of the purchasing conditions.

Some of the type of titles I'm looking for:
Tom Verlaine - Words From the Front
3 Mustaphas 3 - Heart of Uncle
Les Negresses Vertes - Mlah
Roky Erickson - Openers
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Waiting for Bonaparte
Einsturzende Neubauten - Habler Mensch
The Mercy Seat - The Mercy Seat
Buffy Sainte-Marie - Coincidence & Likely Stories

thnx in advance, dz.

Archived