New string broke my bass. Help !

Orph

• Members

I broke my e-string today, and went down to my local musicstore to buy a new one. I got a replacement 100-gauge string, and mounted it. Now I've got a really nasty metallic sound when I'm plucking the string which is ruining my sound :( Is this normal, or should I go back with it and explain what's going on, and maybe get a new one ?

• Members

Um, using both hands press the first and last frets on that new string with it in tune and look at the 7th fret, is there any airspace? If it is touching the fret you dont have enough neck relief. 100 is light for an E on a 4 banger. It might not be giving enough tension.

Was the broken string a 100? You might be best off at this point getting a setup and a whole set. Do you know any veteran bassist who can teach you how to do your own setup?

There is a great Thread in the Bass FAQ on Setups. Good Luck.

moogieotter

• Members

Nope, it was just a generic string they had lying around. Originally I had a 105-gauge (I suspect). So I should try to experiment with bridgeheight and the truss-rod, then ?

• Members

Um, using both hands press the first and last frets on that new string with it in tune and look at the 7th fret, is there any airspace? If it is touching the fret you dont have enough neck relief. 100 is light for an E on a 4 banger. It might not be giving enough tension.

Was the broken string a 100? You might be best off at this point getting a setup and a whole set. Do you know any veteran bassist who can teach you how to do your own setup?

There is a great Thread in the Bass FAQ on Setups. Good Luck.

moogieotter

I did that. There's some play at the 7th fret, a little less than a creditcard worth of space.

• Moderators

How old were the previous strings?! :eek:

It sounds like you will be happier when your new string breaks in and mellows out a bit. Maybe you can speed up the process by coating it with chicken grease. :lol:

Here's the good news. Some of us love that nasty metallic sound and have to spend money to keep fresh strings on the bass. Your preferences are cheaper!

• Members

Ya. Get a bucket of KFC and turn on some CroBar and eat and play along on that new string until the bucket is empty.

Then install a kill switch and get like 15 pedals and put that empty bucket on your head - then become a bass phenom.

• Members

How old were the previous strings?!
:eek:

It sounds like you will be happier when your new string breaks in and mellows out a bit. Maybe you can speed up the process by coating it with chicken grease.
:lol:

Here's the good news. Some of us love that nasty metallic sound and have to spend money to keep fresh strings on the bass. Your preferences are cheaper!

Two months. The old ones never sounded like that...

• Moderators

Wow. It sounded to me like you replaced a dead string and didn't know what new strings sound like. I was wrong. :thu:

Without seeing/hearing the bass I don't have any suggestion other than trying another string.

• Members

Wow. It sounded to me like you replaced a dead string and didn't know what new strings sound like. I was wrong.
:thu:

Without seeing/hearing the bass I don't have any suggestion other than trying another string.

New new one seems a lot stiffer than the previous one if that helps ? And it seems like they are made for longer scale basses, since the metal bit of the string touches the tuningpeg. Is this normal ? It seems like this could result in quite a bit of resonnance. i don't know, though. Input ?

• Members

New new one seems a lot stiffer than the previous one if that helps ? And it seems like they are made for longer scale basses, since the metal bit of the string touches the tuningpeg. Is this normal ? It seems like this could result in quite a bit of resonnance. i don't know, though. Input ?

Well do you know if it's a different kind of string from the rest of the ones you have on? Worth examining.

• Members

Nope, it was just a generic string they had lying around. Originally I had a 105-gauge (I suspect). So I should try to experiment with bridgeheight and the truss-rod, then ?

Honestly, and by no means am I being a weiner, but if something as basic as this is a problem for you, DON'T, experiment with your trussrod.

• Members

Honestly, and by no means am I being a weiner, but if something as basic as this is a problem for you, DON'T, experiment with your trussrod.

I see your point. Thing is, I'm used to playing my bass, not fiddling around with it. You've gotta start someplace. I perfectly well understand the basics of it all (from a mechanical point of view at least), but the weird sound threw me off something fierce.

I'll ride it out, and see if the string settles.

Archived