So I played a '72 EB-3 today...

Derek5272

• Members

It was really nice. Definitely not a versatile bass... Across the 4 switch positions, I got tones ranging from "growly" to "not quite so growly". But, it growled really well. Neck's chunkier than I'm used to, but still felt nice. And it had tape wound strings (which I have never played before) which were nice and smooth. I actually would've bought a set to slap on my 'Ray if they carried any at the store. Also, the Cherry Red finish evidently fades to brown after 37 years.

It was $1600, though, which is more than I can justify spending on a bass (read: I'm really cheap).

• Members

It was really nice. Definitely not a versatile bass... Across the 4 switch positions, I got tones ranging from "growly" to "not quite so growly". But, it growled really well. Neck's chunkier than I'm used to, but still felt nice. And it had tape wound strings (which I have never played before) which were nice and smooth. I actually would've bought a set to slap on my 'Ray if they carried any at the store. Also, the Cherry Red finish evidently fades to brown after 37 years.

It was $1600, though, which is more than I can justify spending on a bass (read: I'm really cheap).

EB-3's for most of the 70's, including that year, were also made in a brown finish, I think they termed it walnut. Their cherry finishes actually stand the test of time pretty well.

• Members

EB-3's for most of the 70's, including that year, were also made in a brown finish, I think they termed it walnut. Their cherry finishes actually stand the test of time pretty well.

This one had partially faded cherry on the back of the neck, and some very cherry spots around the bridge where there was either a bridge cover or a different sized bridge. So it wasn't originally walnut.

• Members

Based on my experience with my Elite model, in addition to what I've read, I expected that you would have described it as heavy, boomy, or muddy, not growly.

Chunky neck -- yes; a bit too much for me (maybe just compared to my other short/medium scaled basses).

I'm gonna sell mine due to lack of use, plus needing the cold hard crash.

200303193981-1.jpg

• Members

Based on my experience with my
Elite
model, in addition to what I've read, I expected that you would have described it as heavy, boomy, or muddy, not growly.

Chunky neck -- yes; a bit too much for me (maybe just compared to my other short/medium scaled basses).

Well, I've never been good at describing tones. :idk: It definitely wasn't muddy, though.

• Members

Based on my experience with my
Elite
model, in addition to what I've read, I expected that you would have described it as heavy, boomy, or muddy, not growly.

200303193981-1.jpg

Yeah. No growls from the mudbucks. Mucho Boomo w/ doomo and gloomo.

Yeah. I said that.

• Members

Did you happen to play this bass at a vintage guitar shop in Kensington Market? If so, I know of this bass and have played it a bit. I also played an 80's BB2000 series bass. Both very good.

• Members

Did you happen to play this bass at a vintage guitar shop in Kensington Market? If so, I know of this bass and have played it a bit. I also played an 80's BB2000 series bass. Both very good.

Calgary L&M, just hanging on the wall next to the new Epi and Gibson basses.

Archived