Peavey Unity Dyna Bass, or alternative

J.L.C.

• Members

I'm a guitar player looking to pick up a used bass just to use for recording.

There's an oil-finished Unity Series Dyna Bass locally that I'm looking at. It's a 4 string, 21 frets with active/passive pickups. It looks a little worn, some rust on the bridge (which I think is a Schaller), missing a knob, etc. The interweb says it's likely from the late 80s

Is this a decent bass for $300-350 CDN ($285 USD)?

Any suggestions for something different/better in this price range for some home recording?

• Members

I have a passive version of the bass you posted. I got mine new in 1992, for $575.00, the list was around $849.00. I changed out the pickups to SD Basslines and used it extensively when I was playing fulltime in Florida in the mid 1990's. I got nothing but compliments on the tone and often had requests to bring that particular bass on jobs. That is indeed a Schaller bridge on your bass. If you're happy with the playablility and tone of your bass, then you've done very well for what you paid for it. Now go play it and enjoy it.

• Members

I have a passive version of the bass you posted. I got mine new in 1992, for $575.00, the list was around $849.00. I changed out the pickups to SD Basslines and used it extensively when I was playing fulltime in Florida in the mid 1990's. I got nothing but compliments on the tone and often had requests to bring that particular bass on jobs. That is indeed a Schaller bridge on your bass. If you're happy with the playablility and tone of your bass, then you've done very well for what you paid for it. Now go play it and enjoy it.

I haven't bought it yet, I was just looking for some background and opinions from some real bassists.

Based on what you've said, it looks like a deal worth pursuing! Thanks very much!

Archived