My Wife's Bass Artwork

Phantasm

• Members

Okay, after discussion with my wife and her instructor...

The advice was that it would be a better route for her to offer prints of work she's done and if they are well received to work on newer creations of other basses. This way, nobody would commission a work and be disappointed with color choices, style or interpretation. They'd be buying the work because they like what they see.

So, for those who expressed an interest in prints, we can investigate that if you'd like. I'm not sure how much prints would cost but we can certainly find out!

And, thanks to everyone for being supportive!

• Members

Okay, after discussion with my wife and her instructor...

The advice was that it would be a better route for her to offer prints of work she's done and if they are well received to work on newer creations of other basses. This way, nobody would commission a work and be disappointed with color choices, style or interpretation. They'd be buying the work because they like what they see.

So, for those who expressed an interest in prints, we can investigate that if you'd like. I'm not sure how much prints would cost but we can certainly find out!

And, thanks to everyone for being supportive!

Prints sound like such a wonderful idea.

And I bought into it.

Literally.

I've been sitting on thousands of $$$ in S/N limited-edition prints, smaller open-edition prints matted for framing, and occasion greeting cards for years now. I've given more away as promos than I've sold. And my own promise to myself is this:

I'll never run more prints unless someone is putting money in my hand ahead of time, and picking up the cost.

They DO NOT instantly market themselves!

My work is damned good. And I'm pres of the local artists guild. We all say similar things.

That said, one great option is computer-based copies, as cheap copies. 8x10, or even 11x14, readily available on your home computer, depending on what your scanner and printer capacities are. But, they are not light-fast fine art prints, period. A local printer may have capacity if you don't, and more stock options to be sure, but still, they are not fine art prints.

Similar to this is for small runs of greeting cards or such. Again, if you do them on your own puter...

As another option, giclee's as a pricey limited-edition option, but you will pay accordingly. The set-up for the first is very $$, but after that, they have the files, and can pop one out whenever for less.

I had 10 each of 6 images, 60 total, two to a sheet, 18" x 24" each image (full size of original), and my cost out the door including shipping and insurance came down to about $65 per print. That was because I had a sizeable order, so the man waived the $200 per image set-up fee. The trade-offs: Giclee's are incredible copies, and even pencil lines look the color and texture of pencil lines. Second, you can get from 1 to infinity in copies made, vs off-set and other methods requiring minimum runs of 500 to 2000 pieces. This is a great approach if you do something like a family portrait or scenic of a summer house, and all involved want their own copy. But, expensive per print.

Mass run print methods such as offset and others bring the price per print down considerably, but are not necessarily cheaper if you have to get a minimum run of 1000, and they wind up costing $8 apiece.

Now, if you get into the process of etching and-or printing with your own press, that's a whole nother topic.

Whatever you do, do not invest a ton of money thinking they'll move. Find a way to walk in dirt-cheap for the fewest prints possible, just what you need and a few extra, and scale up if need be.

Edit:

Sorry, re-reading this, and the intro does sound rather negative. Didn't mean any harm.

Archived