Poetry Slam

Thunderbroom

• Members

Went to the Green Mill in Chicago last night. On Sundays they have a poetry slam hosted Marc Smith (founder of the Poetry Slam).

When we got there, the open mic was rockin' and there was some good stuff and some not so good stuff. The crowd, while small, was raucous. We were there because my friend's band, It's A Girl, was playing a short set. It's hard to describe what his band sounds like. No drums. Keys. Occasional acoustic guitar, banjo, and oboe. Very theatrical with great lyrics. They did a song based on the premise that "she's so good she could sing the phone book". She, also a long friend of our family, can sing the phone book. The song is totally made up on the fly, and she does sing arbitrary pages from the phone book. Excellent.

The slam had 5 contestants last night for a grand prize of $10. The first four were pretty good, but the final entrant blew me a way. Onto the stage walked a young woman named Megan. Dirty blonde hair in a ponytail. Librarian glasses. A dress with a pink button-up sweater. The first words out of her mouth, in a bellowing tone: "I gonna punch a mother{censored}er tonight". She brought the house down.

Fun evening with my wife in Chicago for $6 each plus drinks. Highly recommended.

• Members

Right after I graduated college and moved back to the city I was at the Green Milll twice a week. In fact, that's where I ended the night of my 21st birthday. Back then "The Mighty Blue Kings" played there every Tuesday and I rarely missed a night.

Also, the best bloody mary I've ever had.

Ah...good times.

Archived