wire's come loose inside my bass

Rock_and_roll

• Members

its a tobias 5 string with active pickups, and i've noticed that theres a wire loose inside, its the thick white wire shown in this pic

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/Rock_and_Roll_photos/?action=view&current=IMG_2625.jpg

the bass still outputs sound fine as far as i can tell, and i can't see anywhere obviously missing a wire, anyone have any ideas?

Pete

• Members

yeah it is a little annoying, last gig i did i just left the cover off

That might explain the loose wire.

j/k

It's actually good that they left a bridge ground connected incase you ever wanted to change it to a passive bass. Nothing harder than attaching one of those.

Actually I didn't know that they don't connect a ground on active basses, are you sure about this? Do you notice any buzzing that would go away when you touch the back of a pot? if so, I would solder it to one.

• Members

Actually I didn't know that they don't connect a ground on active basses, are you sure about this? Do you notice any buzzing that would go away when you touch the back of a pot? if so, I would solder it to one.

The bridge-ground is there to ground you. Most active basses are not as susceptible to EMF noise, so the player can be un-grounded.

A properly-shielded passive bass can live without a bridge-ground too.

• Members

I have a question about the bridge ground. I am assembling my bass pretty soon so I have to run a ground wire underneath the PG or drill a hole to the bridge?

I wouldn't use a passive bass without one, it will have a buzz that will ruin the tone. The body you have must already have a hole in the side of the control cavity where a bridge ground wire once ran. You should see if you can run a wire through it, hopefully it will come out somewhere near where you are going to mount your new bridge. You really don't have to solder this end as long as the bridge gets screwed down tight on top of the wire (you can flatten the wire if you use braided), strip the insulation and place it under your bridge so it contacts the bridge then solder the other end to the bottom of the volume pot.

• Members

I wouldn't use a passive bass without one, it will have a buzz that will ruin the tone. The body you have must already have a hole in the side of the control cavity where a bridge ground wire once ran. You should see if you can run a wire through it, hopefully it will come out somewhere near where you are going to mount your new bridge. You really don't have to solder this end as long as the bridge gets screwed down tight on top of the wire (you can flatten the wire if you use braided), strip the insulation and place it under your bridge so it contacts the bridge then solder the other end to the bottom of the volume pot.

Ha Ha.. I just looked again and found a hole. I have never seen it before, it must be it.

BassBody019.jpg

Took a little bit of drilling by hand w/ a small bit in plugged holes but I found it.

Archived