Need a replacement neck...HELP

aschreiber2010

• Members

So i have been surfin' the net tryin' to figure out the best replacement neck i could get for my squier j (stripped truss rod) without breaking the bank. So far i have found mighty mite, and stew mac. Warmoth would be nice yeah but way out of my budget. What other brands would be worth checking out, and which would be better MM or stew mac?

• Members

The finest replacement necks available, period, are USA Custom. A bit pricey, but you will have a quality neck for life. Also, always take into account that you will need a G&P, fretwork, etc. before it becomes truly playable.

• Members

The finest replacement necks available, period, are USA Custom. A bit pricey, but you will have a quality neck for life. Also, always take into account that you will need a G&P, fretwork, etc. before it becomes truly playable.

will a mighty mite really need fretwork? and what is "G&P"?

• Members

will a mighty mite really need fretwork?

Well, its a piece of wood and any piece of wood will "settle" slightly when being shipped between climates. I got a mighty mite neck for my tele and it was perfect when I first opened the box. By the time I put it on my guitar, the fret edges needed to be trimmed just slightly, but not very much. Overall, it wasn't much fretwork that was need and it is a fine neck.

• Members

will a mighty mite really need fretwork? and what is "G&P"?

G&P means grind and polish, which it may not need. Like colin said, the neck may work perfectly in tandem with your body right out of the box, but chances are you will need at least some minor work done. And don't forget the nut. Not sure if they send with pre-cut nuts but I prefer to have my luthier cut it after the neck is in the pocket. Having a nut cut/shaped, depending on the material. ( I had a bone one fitted to my EB-O pup'd Precision and it ran me around $110 at a discounted price)

Archived