Best Kept Little Secret - Rolls PM50sob - Poor Man's IEM System

ToneGrail

• Members

As I was considering an IEM setup, I was doing some research and came across this little gem.

It's sort of a "poor man's" IEM system. In fact, I like it better than the fullblown IEM systems because I can control my own vocal mix on the fly without affecting the level going to the board due to it's hard-wired XLR pass-thru. If I really wanted to hear the mix coming from the board, it has a monitor in jack with it's independent volume knob. The more expensive IEM systems take a while to setup with the coordination of the sound person.

The only thing I have to do with this thing is plop it down, unplug the mic onstage and plug it into the mic-in jack with another XLR cable, then, plug the the cable that was in the mic into the pass-thru jack. Then I plug my headphones into the headphone jack and adjust my volume to taste. That's it. The sound man doesn't have to do a thing.

It's small enough to fit on my pedalboard and can be powered off my One Spot. I use IPOD headphones with an extension cable. Since I'm not using the monitor-in jack, the IPOD headphones let me hear enough of the rest of the band because they don't seal my ears off like the professional-grade IEM headphones. I also get some bleed through my vocal mic. So far it works great! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it can be powered off of a single 9 volt battery for those who don't have pedalboards or don't want to deal with running the supplied A/C adaptor across the stage.

The only disadvantage I can see is that I can't stray too far from the mic because I'm tethered to the unit by the length of my headphone cable. Now if I can find some wireless in-ear headphones, that would address this issue.

Archived