Yo Kindness!

Thunderbroom

• Members

I now kinda know why you can get

We were in the city today so we decided to swing by that area. While it's not a particularly bad area, there's just not much going on in there. Lots and lots of vacant newer condos. No stores that I noticed. I knew it was too good to be true. While I haven't totally ruled the area out, it slipped down the list of desirable places today.

• Moderators

I've recently seen some buildup in that area. A few years ago it was scary. Now it's somewhere between scary and sketchy. I tutored at Brown Elementary there for a few years, so I'd have some young lookouts working for me in the neighborhood, but I still wouldn't drop anchor there.

I've never heard the area referred to as desirable, but give it a few years and it might be on the fringe of desirable.

That is the kind of neighborhood where you'd expect a car on the street to be broken into fairly regularly.

• Moderators

I guess I don't get how you can go several (10 or so) blocks south and the area IS desirable (UIC/Tri-Taylor). The criminals don't/won't travel that far?!?

You can go one block between good and bad in some areas. More typically you go through 2 or 3 transitional blocks before there is good separation.

• Members

That's kind of how Portland is. The parts of the city that were absolutely frightening 15 years ago are now some of the most expensive, trendy, and desirable parts of town. Delta Park and Greshassippi excluded :lol:

• Members

What are the critical search parameters? 3 bed? Reasonably close to 55? What else?

In an actual neighborhood...meaning I can get to a decent restaurant by foot. Close proximity to the El is a huge plus but proximity to a bus is also okay. At least on parking space and preferably two. Cost is a concern. While price is an issue, taxes/condo fees play into this as well. My cap is an absolute maximum of ~$2400 per month for mortgage plus taxes/fees.

• Moderators

In an actual neighborhood...meaning I can get to a decent restaurant by foot. Close proximity to the El is a huge plus but proximity to a bus is also okay. At least on parking space and preferably two. Cost is a concern. While price is an issue, taxes/condo fees play into this as well. My cap is an absolute maximum of ~$2400 per month for mortgage plus taxes/fees.

I'll think about it.

FYI - just to give you an idea of what the rental values are, I pay just a little less than that here.

• Members

Here's a thread from another forum I frequent. Yes, it's about New York City, but I think the insights and advice about looking for a place to live in a city are universal.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45863

Proximity to public transport, for me, would be more important than some other criteria. My sister live in NYC, and she's 5 minutes away from a train. She has friends who live in trendier spots, but are nearly 20 minutes away. That's 30 minutes a day my sister gets of her life back that her friends do not. That kind of thing really adds up.

Archived