Performed a little computer maintenance this week....

bassthumpintwin

• Members

So, I have this Toshiba Satellite laptop that's about 3 or 4 years old...

There weren't too many bells and/or whistles on this bad boy, so I wasn't expecting much out of the thing, but lately it has been operating extra crappy....

Taking forever to boot up, working "fine" for about 20 minutes, and then practically grinding to a hault... I.E., I type something into a text box, and it takes 20 seconds to show up; I hit page up/down and it takes forever to scroll, programs take forever to open....etc...

So I cleaned out the startup registry, defragged the hd, cleaned out a bunch of unnecessary files, did numerous virus and spyware scans, etc... and this seemed to "somewhat" improve performance, but after a while, it's back to running like crap.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded the RAM. From 512MB to 4GB, and this has made all the difference in the world. No more locking up, boot up and load times are a lot faster, and this thing is working like new again.

:thu:

Totally worth the $80.

Here's to small victories...:snax:

• Members

Yeah, RAM tends to be one of the biggest bottlenecks for the OS. And, as a result, usually the quickest and easiest ways to speed up a PC, Because even the fastest processor will get bogged down having to move things in and out of RAM and into swap space.

• Members

But, reading your post I get a sense that the slowing down is a recent occurence. The computer used to not be slow. Did a stick go bad? Did you make major OS changes? Why did it slow down in the first place.

I'm not really sure what happened. I mean, I've installed a couple of programs recently, but nothing that should be bogging down the RAM or the start-up registry as far as I know. Maybe it's been this bad for a while, but I didn't pay as much attention because I wasn't on my computer everyday searching for jobs... ;)

Could be somekind of malware or spyware that's bogging down the RAM, although I've done quite a few scans and nothing popped up.

All I know now, is that what ever was bogging things down before, seems to have plenty of RAM to run now. :thu:

I haven't had any problems typing or scrolling or opening programs that I was having before. It's almost like I'm running a new machine here. Well, as new as a 1.6GHz processor can be. ;)

Archived