bass player looking for new amp need help

ldonnell89

• Members

hey guys, my bass player is looking for a rig overhaul. he just joined our band and is looking big a bigger setup. i've been looking around on musiciansfriend and GC for a new amp, either some kind of 210,410 combo or a head and 410 unit. i'm not sure what his budget is yet but i wanted to get your opinions on what is the best bang for the buck. by your feedback i'd like to help with his options, we're also going to some local music stores and probably a guitar center to try out some stuff. just lemme know what you guys think would be great and cheap. thanks for your help. -logan-:thu:

• Members

Used is your best bet.

The Peavey Firebass heads are really loud and the tone is OK. The Yorkville BM heads are also not too much money and good. The GK RB heads are also good and not tons of money.

You can find Avatar cabs pretty cheap and they're solid. Peavey TVX cabs are good, but heavy.

• Members

hey guys, my bass player is looking for a rig overhaul. he just joined our band and is looking big a bigger setup. i've been looking around on musiciansfriend and GC for a new amp, either some kind of 210,410 combo or a head and 410 unit. i'm not sure what his budget is yet but i wanted to get your opinions on what is the best bang for the buck. by your feedback i'd like to help with his options, we're also going to some local music stores and probably a guitar center to try out some stuff. just lemme know what you guys think would be great and cheap. thanks for your help. -logan-
:thu:

What's your price range?

• Members

We'll need more info- size and style of band? types of places you usually play? does he have a car that can transport bigger cabs, or is portability by bike a must? What kind of basses doe she use? What type of sound is he going after?

Otherwise, it'd be like trying to recommend a Fender Princeton XD to a guy in a death metal band for gigs. Not much help.

• Members

Tell him to man up and buy a one year old Mesa Titan and 412 for $2300 with a 4 year transferrable warranty from someone that could drive it to him. I wouldn't know where you could find that good of a deal....

It's not like it is in anyone's signature around here....

...or is it.

• Members

i've been looking around on GC and i've been looking at the GK backline series. i've heard them before there not too bad. also the peavey tour 450 head and some kind of used cab. and then the acoustic brand w/ 410 cab package or the acoustic 200w head w/115 cab package. any experience with acoustic amps? he plays all styles of music but our band is playing progressive metal ala BTBAM, dream theater, opeth,tool.

• Members

i've been looking around on GC and i've been looking at the GK backline series. i've heard them before there not too bad. also the peavey tour 450 head and some kind of used cab. and then the acoustic brand w/ 410 cab package or the acoustic 200w head w/115 cab package. any experience with acoustic amps? he plays all styles of music but our band is playing progressive metal ala BTBAM, dream theater, opeth,tool.

Find a used GK 1001RBII. Stay away from the backlines. Pure junk, in my opinion.

• Members

I was at GC today and the salesman was trying to get me to buy a Mark Bass. He said he traded his ampeg 4x10 cab and head for the markbass 2x10 wedge combo. I asked him to play the Acoustic 450 combo and thought it sounded as good as the markbass 2x10. Then I noticed the horn wasnt on, (Switch was in back of amp) he played again and wow loved the sound. $599.00 w/ 450 amps and up to 600 with extra cabs. It can even run a 4x10

I got it and it sounds really good. There is always better out there, but lots of quality sound with power for only $599.

Archived