Creative Zen question (MP3 player, not a state of mind)

mlwarriner

• Members

Having said that, there IS something I want to try. I use Media Monkey to create/edit playlists (it's real easy with Media monkey). I just discovered Media Monkey can export the playlist as a std .m3u file which supposedly "can then be loaded by most media players".

Now, whether that exported .m3u file is just the playlist itself ...

• Members

OK, I just exported a playlist and voila!, it is ONLY the playlist itself (doesn't contain any mp3 files).

Now the challenge is how to get that .m3u playlist file onto the Zen. any ideas?

Use the Zen like a portable storage device and drag and drop in proper section instead fo using the Zen software? :idk:

• Members

OK, I just exported a playlist and voila!, it is ONLY the playlist itself (doesn't contain any mp3 files).

Now the challenge is how to get that .m3u playlist file onto the Zen. any ideas?

if you load the WPL file in windows media player, go to the now playing view. at the top of the playlist, click on the playlist name, then click save as.

you can save it as a m3u right there.

connect your zen, and browse it through my computer. there's a "My Playlists" folder in there. try copying the m3u file there by drag and drop, and see what happens.

i'm in the middle of syncing about 28gb to mine, or i'd try it meself. :)

• Members

Use the Zen like a portable storage device and drag and drop in proper section instead fo using the Zen software?
:idk:

That's the 1st thing I thought of too. Tried it but my Zen doesn't show up as a USB storage device. There is nowhere to 'drag & drop' that I can see

• Members

That's the 1st thing I thought of too. Tried it but my Zen doesn't show up as a USB storage device. There is nowhere to 'drag & drop' that I can see

strange.

when i go to "my computer", i see "my zen". double click that, then it comes up as "storage device". double click that and i see the folder structure inside it...

• Members

There is a setting in there somewhere (i've seen it before but can't remember it's exact location now) that allows you to switch it back and forth from "regular" mode to "storage device" mode. ;)

Otherwise I don't get the drag and drop option either.

• Members

strange.

when i go to "my computer", i see "my zen". double click that, then it comes up as "storage device". double click that and i see the folder structure inside it...

Well I'll be damned... you're right. Must missed it (tunnel vision on storage devices I guess).

But when I open the playlist folder on the Zen I don't see any of my playlists I have there. Maybe in odd format. I'd give it a drag & drop shot but my PCMCIA Audigy soundcard is acting up and I'm reloading drivers :(

I think we're getting there!

• Members

once i finished syncing (just got the zen today), i copied an m3u file onto it also. windows told me it wasn't going to work, and it was right.

i booted up the zen, went to music/playlists, and there was none there.

i'm going to do some more research. will be back.

unless of course the switch to 2.0 comes, and then you can find me here

:D

• Members

There is a setting in there somewhere (i've seen it before but can't remember it's exact location now) that allows you to switch it back and forth from "regular" mode to "storage device" mode.
;)

Otherwise I don't get the drag and drop option either.

mine showed up in windows explorer as "my zen" the minute i plugged it in.

• Members

ok, according to some posts on the media monkey forum, you can just browse (on your computer) to the WMP playlist you want to transfer, right click the playlist, click "send to" and then click "zen".

would assume you have to have your zen plugged in for this to work.

can't try tonight, as the zen is at work and i'm at home. will try tomorrow evening and report back.

• Members

I have a Zen. You can't drag and drop to it. You have to copy and paste. But, if you use the software that came with the Zen, I believe you can drag and drop but you'll have to load all your music into that program.

i've got the music files themselves on the zen. i just want to copy the "list" portion of my WMP playlists on there too...

• Members

I think I have an older model. That probably makes a difference.

it might. dunno.

i still think it's stupid to not be able to import just the "list" portion of a WMP playlist :(

sorta like t3p0's line 6 pedal. it's only update-able via a midi cable, but they don't {censored}ing give you the midi cable to update it with :(

• Members

it might. dunno.

i still think it's stupid to not be able to import just the "list" portion of a WMP playlist
:(

sorta like t3p0's line 6 pedal. it's only update-able via a midi cable,
but they don't {censored}ing give you the midi cable to update it with

Ok that's just plain cruel.

• Members

I'm almost sure, by using the supplied software, you can create playlists. There is a playlist folder within the Zen itself so I'm sure it's there for a reason.

yes, you can create playlists with their software. if you want to import all of your music into their system, and then rebuild the playlists manually.

i've got several very customized playlists already in WMP. i just want to import the list itself into the zen.

Archived