P bass, J neck??

ledyard

• Members

Other than the '73 or 74 p bass (whichever it was) which would be outrageous money and the Lakland Bob Glaub usa with the 1.5" nut option or a custom warmoth, who makes quality P basses with a J neck profile?

Fender style P basses. Not just any bass with P pick-ups. Stuff compareable to a usa fender.

I'm in love with the Lakeland but I'm sure to get one with the 1.5" nut I would have to order a new one since its a factory option not standard production. I have never played a USA Lakland but would paying $2800 for a new one be twice as good as getting a warmoth for $1100 or a used P bass for $700-1000??

• Members

Pretty sure the Fender P Deluxe has a J neck. You could just turn down the J pickup.

The Laklands are nice. Whether they're twice as nice depends on the person. I'd never spend $2800 on a bass.

Not sure about the American P-Deluxe, but the MIM Deluxe P Special definitely has a jazz neck.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201

• Members

is that a fender body? something about that upper horn looks weird to me.

probably because its not "p" bass exactly. being late 80's or early 90"s and a p bass "plus", they probably changed it up a little i would imagine. It does look off though.

• Members

MIJ jazz special!

Bob1.jpg?t=1259456801

I actually would probably buy a MIJ fender. I used to own a MIM fender and didnt like it at all. I just played an older MIJ "steve harris" which is exactly what I am after. Actually liked it better than my USA JAzz. But the dude wont sell it.

Allthough I would like a 1.5" (which this older one felt like) The new ones specifically say 1.75" nut. If the older one was wider then it certainly didnt feel like it.

I forgot about the steve harris when I posted my question. I think I just talked myself into one. Theres none on ebay right now though :(

• Members

+1 for a G&L, SB-1 or SB-2. (I own and SB2). SB1 is standard with a P neck, SB2 with a J neck, but you can custom order from like 5-6 different widths and radii.

Or just buy a MIA P and J, sawp the neck, and part out the other bits. Prolly make all your money back.

• Members

+1 for a G&L, SB-1 or SB-2. (I own and SB2). SB1 is standard with a P neck, SB2 with a J neck, but you can custom order from like 5-6 different widths and radii.

Or just buy a MIA P and J, sawp the neck, and part out the other bits. Prolly make all your money back.

Yeah, I'd just buy the P bass I wanted and then find a Warmoth neck to put on it.

Archived