External HDD Question(s)

mlwarriner

• Members

I have my music library on an external HDD, for use at work. We're not allowed to have MP3s on our computer, but we're OK to have them on our own external HDD, and hook it up at work.

Fine. But.

My Creative Zen MP3 player isn't playing nice with Windows Media Player (with regards to playlists), so I decide to install the Creative media manager software, at home. I'll just take my HDD home and use it there.

Fine. But.

When I plug my external HDD into my comp. at home, it tells me that the drive needs to be formatted for me to use it.

WTF? It was working fine literally 15 minutes prior to this.

My home comp is Win7, and my work comp is XP Pro. Is this part of the problem? Or is there something else?

• Members

I'd contact the manufacturer. They'll know. It may even be on their support site if it's a big problem. Back up the contents of the drive if they want you to update anything.

You could also prove/disprove by trying another Win XP machine and another Win7 machine and see if you get the same exact results.

• Members

I'd contact the manufacturer. They'll know. It may even be on their support site if it's a big problem. Back up the contents of the drive if they want you to update anything.

You could also prove/disprove by trying another Win XP machine and another Win7 machine and see if you get the same exact results.

i can't really contact the manufacturer. it's a generic drive from fleabay in a generic enclosure from fleabay. :(

Archived