Moving G&L pick-up

ledyard

• Members

I have a 90's G&L usa "climax" 4. Single bridge HB. It sounds great. Very gainy, snotty and sabbathy with alot of mid and woody-ness.

What do you guys think it would sound like if I had the pup moved to the sweet spot? Theres a phenominal luthier about 10 min from me. He also did the refret on the bass last year.

I was thinking either move the pup and fill the hole with a block milled to fit then either refinish it. Or just get a p bass pick guard and make a custom one. Or.....Just get another old G&L pup and just ADD one so there is no body hole to worry about. Then just add a 3 way toggle pup selector.

• Members

Yeah I would be looking for a 90's pup just like the one in it. I would probably look on ebay first. I assume they are expensive from the factory.

As for resale, I have had it for sale(warwick gas) for $600 shipped. But no bites. I even lowered it to $450 shipped for a quick sale. No bites. Even at $600 I'm gonna lose a little on it cause of the re fret job. If it is a professional job and looks as such(this guy is awsome), I dont see me not getting $600 for it if I still wanted to sell it. BUT.....if I do it it will be to keep it.

Having this dude do it would be like factory. I think it would be badass. One of a kind. I have to take care of the Warwick situation first though. If I still have it I'm definatley doing it.

Question....It has 1 volume, 2 tone (pre amp), 1 active/passive toggle, 1 series parallel toggle. I dont know exactly what the pre amp is supposed to do because the first knob isnt bass boost or cut. When you roll it on it gets a little cleaner and punchier. If you roll it off it gets woody and Sabbathy :thu:

If you roll the other tone off it gets thin and trebley. Roll on and its full again. Passive sounds just like active just quieter. Active is little punchier and little more boost/bite.

So heres the actual question....(opinions) ...do I add a 3 way toggle and keep 1 volume? or do I not add toggle and add a second volume? Also would you bother with a series parallel for the neck pup?

• Members

I wouldn't do it. If you like the way it plays and sounds, there's no reason to make this change. The odds that it won't sound the way you expect it to are reasonably high.

Keep the bass the way it is, save up for your Warwick. If you really want the sweet spot, go for a Tribute series.

• Members

Honestly i would rather sell it or trade it. I love it but I want a 2 pup bass. Unless ofcourse I got a P bass.

Any "new to me" bass I get is going to be a warwick. possibly a tobias. I dont want a different G&L. If I had the extra cash i might get a SB-1

Archived