Talk to me about ebay

ec437

• Members

Yeah, it sucks for sellers now, but what are the chances that if I buy a $600 camera I will get screwed?

Depends on what you mean by "screwed"? Are you referring to price, or to the service of the seller? Neither is a huge worry.

For price, just compare your high bid price to the lowest "completed listings" prices for similar or identical items. I will often bid a few cents above the even dollar amount, just in case another bidder is thinking the same way I am when choosing a high bid.

For service, just don't buy from sellers with little or no feedback (or poor feedback), unless you are willing to gamble your hard earned cash on their legitimacy. I don't think eBay is any more risky for sellers than it has ever been.

What has made eBay a tough buyer's market is it's proliferation - it is far tougher to use your knowledge of products to find under-priced or mis-represented items (like my '99 Warwick Corvette FNA 5'r for $460 shipped). That said, there are still deals to be had, and I think your idea to shop during the game is a good one. Good luck! :thu:

• Members

K, I think I'm gonna go for it. Wish me luck:freak:

BTW - what camera is it? Just curious. I'm pre-shopping for them now for purchasing one later this year (I have to get an H4N, iMac 27" and iPad before then, so I've got some time before a camera is in the cards).

• Members

BTW - what camera is it? Just curious. I'm pre-shopping for them now for purchasing one later this year (I have to get an H4N, iMac 27" and iPad before then, so I've got some time before a camera is in the cards).

I'll tell you when the auctions done :D

• Members

nice. What was the previous going rate for them?

I've seen them go with the battery grip for $700 recently. That seems to be about the norm on Craigslist and they are a little more than that in local camera shops too.

Archived