Church people (i know we've got a few)

mlwarriner

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Food is always a number booster. Every first saturday we have a potluck at church, and we normally have I'd say half again as many people there. Might not be intentional, but the numbers are the numbers. You might also look at combined study groups to start small and grow it into an actual service.

• Members
Food is always a number booster. Every first saturday we have a potluck at church, and we normally have I'd say half again as many people there. Might not be intentional, but the numbers are the numbers. You might also look at combined study groups to start small and grow it into an actual service.

we had a potluck this weekend, and there were 8 people there - including me, my wife and our two kids :(

dunno.

• Members
The Willow Creek model is a neat one to look at. They build on the "Meta-Church" model where everything is built on cell blocks of 10-people. A single person charged with caring for the spiritual well being of 10 others (much like Jesus looked after the 12). It is variations of this thinking (Willow Creek, the Navigators, etc...) that I have seen as the most effective college ministry.

Jesus didn't do decimal! :lol:

• Members

I think in your situation I would focus on pouring into the people you have already. Instead of a normal "service" I would try a small group approach. By that I don't mean label it a small group but shift the focus, at least temporarily, to the smaller number. I would circle up, share, pray, open the word, maybe have a short message. Mainly I would, as a core group, seek God's move in what you are trying to do. Fervent prayer times like this can go on faithfully for years before you ever see a "breakout".

In conversations like this one I quickly begin to think of strategy and programing. Tactics and gimmicks. Prayer is more dependable than any of those.

In your prayer time ask yourselves what it is you want. What is the end goal. The world does not need another church service, it needs God to be sought and lives to be changed. It just so happens that those things can happen in a church service/college service/youth service but they can happen in other group meetings as well.

• Members

Sunday evenings, about 7PM, most college students remember they have papers due and tests to prep for - and they haven't started...

You might try a Saturday Evening Service...serve a meal as part of a social hour then music and a service...

PS: Remember that you aren't responsible for the outcomes...it's easy to get discouraged but just keep praying and keep doing what you are lead to do....I'm leading a small group now and there are only 2 people...but that's ok...

• Members

my two cents:

Wednesday or Thursday night. Maybe Saturday at 5:00pm so as to not interfere with the party schedule, but allow for sleep in the AM.

Music and band must be modern and young, respectively. 70's Jesus music is not going to gain any butts in seats... Trust me. I've played in church since I was 18 (32 now), and the oldie-but-goodie tunes drive me nuts. I went to a session at NAMM about 'worship leader 2.0' stuff. the one thing Holland Davis said that really stuck out and made sense (all of what he said made sense, but this was the gem...) was 'this is why the psalms didn't come with music....' If you can't find relevant modern music, then find a good team and write some. the words and themes and ideas are there in the psalms, they are songs/lyrics of praise.

PM me on here or on Facebook (I'm pretty sure we are 'friends' on there, too). and I can hook you up with some song ideas. I'm dying to get some of the more modern stuff into my current situation (on staff as praise team leader)...

one last thing... since when are young adults 18-25.. when I did a study on young adults years ago, all the books used 18-35 as the range. I feel old and excluded. Guess I'll stick to the Jesus Music .. "Put your hand in the hand" by Ocean plays over the hifi.....

• Members

Who leads the service? If its an old guy, many young people won't come. Get somebody who is under 35 and has tattoos.

the service is led by the guitarist. he's college age - 20/21/22 ish. he's got no tattoos but dresses very much like a college student. and then there's me. yes, i'm 34, but between the tattoos, the earrings and the skull-and-crossbones guitar strap i use, i don't look that old.

Archived