jazz bass with no tone control?

mlwarriner

• Members

so i'm wiring up the stickerbass. and having a real {censored}er of a time getting the cap to solder on to the back of the tone pot.

so my question is this. what happens if i just don't have a tone pot? volume/volume. no tone.

99.999999999% of the time, i run the tone control WFO on my passive basses anyhow, so why bother?

it'll work that way, right?

also - what if i just wire the pickups straight to the jack? it's just white wires to tip, black wires (including one from the bridge) to the ring/sleeve, right?

• Members

It'd work just fine. I have a PJ I wired Vol/Vol.

It'll work, you just won't be able to blend volumes.

hmmm...i've already got the volume pots wired up. maybe i'll just skip the tone and go vol/vol.

i'll post up some pics of my l337 soldering skillz later. they're good for a laugh.

• Members

Just ship the body and it should be cheaper.

indeed. but i've got about 42,000 other things on my plate right now. takeout was kind enough to loan me his p-bass (i wound up shipping both of my functional basses off at the same time :facepalm: ) so i can survive until the warwick gets here, or i get the stickerbass done. but i'm fully swamped at work, and still have the wife and kids, the rest of my family, band practice and my church gig to keep up with.

sadly, getting the freakenbacker fixed isn't at the top-most of my priority list right now.

side note - the bridge appeared today. thanks!

:)

• Members

so. i picked up some strings last night at the local shop, brought them home and strung the bass up.

plugged in the tuner, and tuned the bass. swell.

then i took the bass to band practice, plugged it into my amp, and....

*silence*

:(

it was the bass. not sure exactly what, but definitely the bass. if you pushed in on the cord, it would play. but if you weren't actively holding inward on the cord, silence.

bad jack maybe? i'm going to see if i can find someone close-by that sells barrel jacks and i'll replace this one with another.

• Members

so. i picked up some strings last night at the local shop, brought them home and strung the bass up.

plugged in the tuner, and tuned the bass. swell.

then i took the bass to band practice, plugged it into my amp, and....

*silence*

:(

it was the bass. not sure exactly what, but definitely the bass. if you pushed in on the cord, it would play. but if you weren't actively holding inward on the cord, silence.

bad jack maybe? i'm going to see if i can find someone close-by that sells barrel jacks and i'll replace this one with another.

Wait so your tuner could pickup the signal but not the amp? :confused:

• Members

Yeah that just does not make any sense that the tuner can pick up a signal and not the amp. Makes me thing that the amp is {censored}ed.

As for not being able to solder the cap to the pot. try sanding off, or just a rough up, of the surface of the bit of the pot you want to solder to. Solder should take fine after that

• Members

Yeah that just does not make any sense that the tuner can pick up a signal and not the amp. Makes me thing that the amp is {censored}ed.

As for not being able to solder the cap to the pot. try sanding off, or just a rough up, of the surface of the bit of the pot you want to solder to. Solder should take fine after that

the amp is fine. it works perfectly with three or four other basses, different cables, different locations, etc. it's not the amp.

besides, if it were the amp, why would it work fine when i push inward on the cable end at the bass?

it's definitely something wonky in the bass, i'm just not entirely sure what.

• Members

the amp is fine. it works perfectly with three or four other basses, different cables, different locations, etc. it's not the amp.

besides, if it were the amp, why would it work fine when i push inward on the cable end at the bass?

it's definitely something wonky in the bass, i'm just not entirely sure what.

Is your tuner one of those little hand held things with a built in mic? Odds are the mic was picking up the sound.

I don't know much about electronics, but between you and Dan, I'm pretty scared to rewire and shield my bass

• Members

Jacks are pretty simple. More likely to be a bad solder joint. Put your cord in and see if all the right bits are touching, give all the moving bits a wiggle. make sure nothing that is not supposed to touch a ground point is not touching one before you replace it

• Members

Jacks are pretty simple. More likely to be a bad solder joint. Put your cord in and see if all the right bits are touching, give all the moving bits a wiggle. make sure nothing that is not supposed to touch a ground point is not touching one before you replace it

i would, but it's one of these:

Jack-1-4-inch-long-threaded-MONO--Female

except it's stereo, and enclosed all the way down to the tip. you can't see anything inside it.

• Members

so i'm wiring up the stickerbass. and having a real {censored}er of a time getting the cap to solder on to the back of the tone pot.

The next time you have to do this, get a green potscrubber thing (I've also heard of people using a pencil eraser) and scuff the area of the pot you are trying to solder to first. Yes, it does make a difference. :thu:

• Members

The next time you have to do this, get a green potscrubber thing (I've also heard of people using a pencil eraser) and scuff the area of the pot you are trying to solder to first. Yes, it does make a difference.
:thu:

i had that problem when i first started soldering too. sand paper works as well.

Archived