Compressor Update

Thunderbroom

• Members

just curious, but for the type of music you do, is a compressor really needed?

Nobody needs a compressor, but it can be a very valuable tool in the hands of those that know how to use them. Country/alt country, funk, rock...a compressor can be applied to just about any style effectively.

• Members

Nobody needs a compressor, but it can be a very valuable tool in the hands of those that know how to use them. Country/alt country, funk, rock...a compressor can be applied to just about any style effectively.

explain?

i've used one but never to satisfactory or revelatory results. if i'm too loud, i play softer. i don't get peaks of volume with the way i play (very light touch, very low action).

• Members

just curious, but for the type of music you do, is a compressor really needed?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. While, yes, my band plays country...we also play rock and have even been delving into some funky stuff.

But no, I don't need a compressor. I could just work on my technique.

• Members

explain?

i've used one but never to satisfactory or revelatory results. if i'm too loud, i play softer. i don't get peaks of volume with the way i play (very light touch, very low action).

Some people do get peaks of volume when they play, be it because of their attack or the quirks of that particular bass. These are the folks that most often use them. They can also be handy for slap&pop because of the constant flux of dynamics...a good comp will even out the notes across the board. Granted, it is hardly a revelatory tool for most that try them the first time and many people just have a greater dynamic control over their playing. They can also be used as an effect or as a component in someones signature tone (see: Tony Levin). They can also provide punch or tube like growl not common in many solid state rigs. Of course, quality varies greatly from unit to unit as does the need for one from player to player.

• Members

Some people do get peaks of volume when they play, be it because of their attack or the quirks of that particular bass. These are the folks that most often use them. They can also be handy for slap&pop because of the constant flux of dynamics...a good comp will even out the notes across the board. Granted, it is hardly a revelatory tool for most that try them the first time and many people just have a greater dynamic control over their playing. They can also be used as an effect or as a component in someones signature tone (see: Tony Levin). They can also provide punch or tube like growl not common in many solid state rigs. Of course, quality varies greatly from unit to unit as does the need for one from player to player.

thanks.

the few times i've tried one, the thing i didn't like was that it squelched the volume when i was trying to play a little more aggressively.

• Members

country bass is very even (to my ear) without the varied attack of a slap player. that's why i wondered why you used one.

thanks.

the few times i've tried one, the thing i didn't like was that it squelched the volume when i was trying to play a little more aggressively.

Yeah. I went through a few different ones and experiences before I ever decided it would be a permanent fixture in my setup. It really is one of the hardest "effects" to understand correctly, IMO and it took me years to really get to the level where I could justify having a need for one. I use it as a component in my tone and as a tool to even out my playing. Trust me, I need one! :rolleyes:

Archived