Excel People

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

I need your help.

Say you have a workbook that has many tabs of information, and you need to protect about half of them. Is there a way to protect a group of certain sheets at one time? At this point It seems like I am going to have to make a macro, but I don't want the people that I send this to to have access to this macro. Plus I flat out don't want to make a macro.

What say thee?

• Members

Are you using 2007?

Just go to the tab you want to protect, go to Cells, Format, Protect sheet. Click on Protect Worhseet and contents of locked cells, Click Locked and unlocked cells and put in a password. That one sheet will then be locked. Other tabs will be able to be edited.

I have 03, but yeah its the same process. My problem is I have about 10 tabs that need protecting on each workbook, so I have to type the password 20 times per workbook, on 7 workbooks, some others have 13 workbooks. So it gets to be a pain/time consuming.

I would just like to be able to hit lock and set the password for all sheets at once rather than going sheet by sheet.

• Members

I have 03, but yeah its the same process. My problem is I have about 10 tabs that need protecting on each workbook, so I have to type the password 20 times per workbook, on 7 workbooks, some others have 13 workbooks. So it gets to be a pain/time consuming.

Ahh....it's a problem of volume. I got nothin then.

Sorry!

• Members

Tried doing multiple sheets and it wouldn't let me. I had to do them one at a time. I think you're stuck going the macro route. What I would do is use the macro recorder and password protect a couple of worksheets. Then look at the generated code and modify it to affect all the other worksheets you want protected. Once you see a couple of examples you should be able to copy/paste the code and only have to change the worksheet name for each line of code.

• Members

Tried doing multiple sheets and it wouldn't let me. I had to do them one at a time. I think you're stuck going the macro route. What I would do is use the macro recorder and password protect a couple of worksheets. Then look at the generated code and modify it to affect all the other worksheets you want protected. Once you see a couple of examples you should be able to copy/paste the code and only have to change the worksheet name for each line of code.

I was surprised at how easy that was, everything is basically identical, and the only thing I had to add was " Password:="****" to the code.

Then I put it on a separate spreadsheet, so all could use it. Took an hour of meaningless crap to about 2 minutes.:thu:

Archived