Yo incubitabus (and other non mac-haters)

ec437

• Members

I could have been a Christian, marching on to war.

I could have been a boxer, breaking many jaws.

I could have been a copper, pounding out of beat.

I could have been a loser, sleeping on the streets.

But I have wasted all my time,

Having good times with the women and the wine.

And if I had my time again

• Members

Spotlight/Finder not doing it for you I take it?

You have to know the names of the duplicate files for Spotlight to work. I think the OP is asking for a program to list all found duplicate files. Personally I have a few external hard drives so I know what it's like trying to consolidate and delete when you have 4-5 copies of the same thing spread all over the place.

Unfortunately, OP, I don't know of a free program to help you out.

• Members

sorry I'm late to the party... What kind of files are you trying to clear out, or is this a general file checker you want?

Both iPhoto and iTunes have duplicate search tools that should let you clear out media files - generally the largest files - but If you're talking about docs, I can ask at work and see what people have used. I'm very much a DIYer when it comes to that sort of thing...

• Members

sorry I'm late to the party... What kind of files are you trying to clear out, or is this a general file checker you want?

Both iPhoto and iTunes have duplicate search tools that should let you clear out media files - generally the largest files - but If you're talking about docs, I can ask at work and see what people have used. I'm very much a DIYer when it comes to that sort of thing...

I have about 9000 photos on my laptop, some of which are duplicates. I also have duplicates of these and other files on my external hard drive. iphoto is a steaming pile of crap and doesn't work with this many photos. Last time I tried to use it it duplicated every single file and filled up my entire hard drive.

• Members

iPhoto will work with that many photos, but not if they are imported in large chunks. Aperture 3 might be a good option, but it will import photos just like iPhoto does, making a "duplicate" in the Aperture library. I put duplicate in quotes because it copies the photo into it's file structure from whatever location you're importing from (external, internal, flash drive, etc), but the computer does that anyway from any external source - it never moves, only copies. Theres a free 30 day trial on the website that might last you long enough to clear out your dupes. #10 might be of interest to you, too.

If you're hell-bent on not using a photo organizational software, then I'm not sure what is out there. I'll ask around at work tomorrow and find out.

• Members

iPhoto
will
work with that many photos, but not if they are imported in large chunks. Aperture 3 might be a good option, but it will import photos just like iPhoto does, making a "duplicate" in the Aperture library. I put duplicate in quotes because it copies the photo into it's file structure from whatever location you're importing from (external, internal, flash drive, etc), but the computer does that anyway from any external source - it never moves, only copies. Theres a free 30 day trial on the website that might last you long enough to clear out your dupes.
might be of interest to you, too.

If you're hell-bent on not using a photo organizational software, then I'm not sure what is out there. I'll ask around at work tomorrow and find out.

I'm currently using lightroom 3 beta. I'll be buying it when the beta period expires in April.

Archived