is it safe to assume

mlwarriner

• Members

Somewhere in that neighborhood.
:thu:

and surely, an amplifier putting out somewhere in that neighborhood of wattages should certainly be generally considered "loud enough" when putting all of those wattages into a reasonably well designed, and extremely well constructed 6x10 cabinet when coupled with some reasonably judicious equalizerationing?

• Members

I always just assumed it was THD increasing but I have no idea and don't really care. I only use wattages as a ballpark at the very most these days. :)

(e.g. you get 300w @ 8 ohms @ 1% thd and 500w @ 4 ohms @ 1% thd). Something like that. Again that's really just a guess. Probably inaccurate.

• Members

I think it's because in most solid state amps the Voltage delivered to the cab isn't necessarily the same for different cab impedences.

Hijack: this follows P=U^2/R, but most amp ratings I've seen don't. Why is that? I assumed loss due to heat, but shouldn't that be proportional to power?
:idk:

• Members

The interpolation of projected wattage at a specific ohm rating without further exoansion of the parameters involved is likely to be somewhat applicatble to a solid state amp. The answer to your question is a much more difficult determination if you are referring to a tube amp.

Archived