Guild B302

• Members

Hey everyone,

Saw a picture of one of these old gems the other day, and it re-ignited my longstanding curiousity in these. Thinking of maybe a new bass this year, and wondering if it might be one of these. I've never seen one in the flesh, nor of course played one. Have any of you? If so, what have you to say? Anyone know what they go for these days, none on ebay to judge by right now.

Thanks in advance

• Members

Hey everyone,

Saw a picture of one of these old gems the other day, and it re-ignited my longstanding curiousity in these. Thinking of maybe a new bass this year, and wondering if it might be one of these. I've never seen one in the flesh, nor of course played one. Have any of you? If so, what have you to say? Anyone know what they go for these days, none on ebay to judge by right now.

Thanks in advance

My brother used to have one of these. He's lefthanded, so I didn't play it too much, but from his comments and my observations it looked exceedingly cool, sounded good, balanced poorly, and had a neck thick enough to make 2 telephone poles. Ultimately he hacked it into pieces and made an 8 string using the body wings and a Carvin neck. No idea of the going rate currently.

• Members

I have one, I think it is either a 1979 or 1980 model. White with a rosewood fretboard and black pick guard. The 301 had one humbucker, where as the 302 had 2. It is a beast of a bass, everything is huge, neck, body, headstock. Just looks oversized compared to my other basses (p, jazz, rick). However the size and the pickups combine to make a pretty huge sound. I think back in the day this was guilds answer to the Gibson ripper, and Ricks.

I did have mine de-fretted with maple wood in place of the frets, it sounds pretty good, more akin to an upright than a fretless jazz. Again, remember it is a big heavy sound, so the fretless doesnt hurt only adds.

It was my first "professional" bass, so I hang on to it mostly for nostalgic reasons and dig it out every now and then.

a4e1f1e1.jpg

Archived