Just found out IM ALLERGIC TO CAKE!!!!!

Chlo_treacher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wait... Isn't England's version of "cake" actually burnt bread crust or something?

BTW, my friend is allergic to gluten, and the only beer he can tolerate is Guinness.

^^ sorry but they(Guinness) either remove the protein or they ( the "allergic" person) don't think it is bothering them. Depends on the issue.

• Members

I've found that many of the good beers I can get my hands on give me a rashy look to my neck/chest area. I have chalked it up to some kind of gluten issue. I've done well with gluten-free beers. I'll stick to whisky.

I wish I was allergic to cake, I wouldn't eat so much of it.... but it's soooo good (sorry Chlo, I know that doesn't help)...

• Members
mm maybe. Need to see a doctor anyway so will include this.

dear god i hope not!

see thats the thing, im fine with pasta and bread as far as i can tell. though i did have some stew with rye bread and it made my tummy go a little squishy. mmm. doctor time.

as for drinks i never really liked beer or ale anyway so it wasn't a big loss and also why it took me so long to discover that i was allergic. Just means i get under the table in double time (practically
before
i start drinking) now from having to drink stuff like wine and spirits etc.

What happens when you eat the things that bother you? Hives? Upset tummy?

Celiac is NOT an allergy it an auto immune disorder and you NEED to get a test ( full panel) to make sure this is not the issue.Celiac sufferers can not have wheat , barley , rye or oats. Still eating things you think may not be hurting you if you have celiac you are still damaging your body ( though don't stop eating gluten till you get the blood test.). When you ingest gluten your body attacks your intestines and it can attack other areas with the greater damage. The long term effects are diabetes , thyroid issues, weight gain / loss , cancer etc. The blood test is the best there are allot of politics with diagnosis Ive found the best way to know is to avoid it and see how you feel after a few months off gluten.

Allergy - you feel like poo and break out in hives...possibly it will make you grumpy. Some people are intolerant( though no one can digest it) of the protein but that often means that you are not damaged enough to satisfy the crappy tests they have for celiacs.

Sorry you are having this issue. If you need more help let me know .

Try the website that was posted previously they have a message board for more info :thu:

• Members
What happens when you eat the things that bother you? Hives? Upset tummy?

Celiac is NOT an allergy it an auto immune disorder and you NEED to get a test ( full panel) to make sure this is not the issue.Celiac sufferers can not have wheat , barley , rye or oats. Still eating things you think may not be hurting you if you have celiac you are still damaging your body ( though don't stop eating gluten till you get the blood test.). When you ingest gluten your body attacks your intestines and it can attack other areas with the greater damage. The long term effects are diabetes , thyroid issues, weight gain / loss , cancer etc. The blood test is the best there are allot of politics with diagnosis Ive found the best way to know is to avoid it and see how you feel after a few months off gluten.

Allergy - you feel like poo and break out in hives...possibly it will make you grumpy. Some people are intolerant( though no one can digest it) of the protein but that often means that you are not damaged enough to satisfy the crappy tests they have for celiacs.

Sorry you are having this issue. If you need more help let me know .

Try the website that was posted previously they have a message board for more info
:thu:

:eek: scary shizneay there! Basically when i last had beer, my tummy blew up and sort of looked like i was pregnant. I also threw up. With bread and cake it just gets crampy. I'm fine with oats, barley as far im aware. It was rye bread I ate yesterday so i guess it might be that, but im not sure. Haven't had hives. but it doesn't feel like its ever really bad? My brother is allergic to strawberrys and he proper broke out finally after years of 'sunday' sickness. Basically he got into a habit of eating strawberry yoghurt on a saturday evening and like clockwork was ill on a sunday. It happened for YEARS before it really blew up though. My thing has been similar to when he first starting getting crampy and headaches etc.

• Members
^^ sorry but they(Guinness) either remove the protein or they ( the "allergic" person) don't think it is bothering them. Depends on the issue.

It still hurts his system to drink it, but not so much as "regular" beer. That's why I said he could tolerate it. :)

• Members
It still hurts his system to drink it, but not so much as "regular" beer. That's why I said he could
tolerate
it.
:)

Depends on the issue. If its an allergy ( yes they are also Auto immune but its a different reaction). IF its celiac you can't just have a little it damages your body even if you don't feel it. The side effects are different then an allergy and more serious. Your body is attacking your intestines that makes you malnourished. Then you get the other host of issues. Its a genetic disorder.

OP its worth getting tested and ruling it out. If it was a post saying " I ate a peanut butter sandwich and I broke out in hives" much simpler. Celiac is scary and much then an allergy. Your symptoms sound much more like celiac then a wheat allergy ( hives , respiratory issues ). Make sure if you do get the blood test they run the FULL panel. This will not show up on an allergy test they are different tests.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/celiacsymptoms.htm
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21927/1/Celiac-Disease-Head-to-Toe/Page1.html

Trust me I miss beer :cry: I wish this issue on no one.

Archived