looking for advice! modulus content

0175westwood29

• Members

was looking at getting a warwick 5er but after looking at it, ive decided to go down a route that i know!

i love my fb4 so im gonna be getting a 5 string version.

but im thinking of going down a slightly different route, probs get the 0BP-3 instead of the 0BP-1 pre amp.

but mainly i want to know what people would recommend for pickup/s I like the idea of having the j type pups in it, but ive just seen on there gallery shots that it looks like you can have a mm and j setup which would be cool! as i love the sd basslines pickup i have in my fb4.

color wise im thinking of the pic below!

Flea4TransRedburstBlackHdw.jpg

so what would you guys go for preamp and pickups wise?

andy

• Members

If I were to get another Mod 5'er, I'd probably go with the FB5 over the Quantum this time. Just a different/better feel for me.

My last FB4 had the J+MM setup, and 3-band Aguilar EQ. Had I not found the gift-from-God NS2 I did, it would still be my main ax. I just couldn't pass up bass history like that. :)

But that J/MM combo is just amazing. I'm glad they finally started doing it.

• Members

If I were to get another Mod 5'er, I'd probably go with the FB5 over the Quantum this time. Just a different/better feel for me.

My last FB4 had the J+MM setup, and 3-band Aguilar EQ. Had I not found the gift-from-God NS2 I did, it would still be my main ax. I just couldn't pass up bass history like that.
:)
But that J/MM combo is just amazing. I'm glad they finally started doing it.

yeh im leaning more towards the standard j setup, but hearing you say that im tempted by that now!:facepalm:

im also thinking of asking if they can put emg's in it! i dnt think they can but im gonna ask anyway!

ive heard the bart pup's they use are really smooth sounding and i want some edge, or are they better with the aggie pre over the bart pre?

im with you on the ns2! that bass is sick!

andy

• Members

You can get plenty of edge with the Aggy preamp, especially if you go 18V on it.

So you were thinking a true J/J setup? That'd be interesting. Esp w/ EMGs. I haven't seen or heard them in an FB model before. They were too bright for my tastes on the regular Q5s, so I dunno.

Personally I think just the preamp would be fine. On that custom Q5 I had done, I initially went w/ the Aggy but then switched it to the Bart before moving it b/c it was overly aggressive for that bass!

• Members

You can get plenty of edge with the Aggy preamp, especially if you go 18V on it.

So you were thinking a true J/J setup? That'd be interesting. Esp w/ EMGs. I haven't seen or heard them in an FB model before. They were too bright for my tastes on the regular Q5s, so I dunno.

Personally I think just the preamp would be fine. On that custom Q5 I had done, I initially went w/ the Aggy but then switched it to the Bart before moving it b/c it was overly aggressive for that bass!

oh yeh you had the bart pups in that beast didnt you!

indeed im thinking of going the traditional j setup, i know i could just go and get a vj but i much prefer the look of the fb5.

yeh emg's might be fun but after hearing a few clips and i just got an email back saying it would be a custom thing! so be quite pricey! im thinking of just going with the barts and yeh id want the 18v aggie pre, got that in my fb4 but its the 0bp-1 and ill get the 0bp-3 in this bass i think.

and another thing im thinking if i got the mm j config the two pups would probs have to be the same? although i like the idea of possibly having the sd basslines which i do like in my 4er and mixing an emg in with it?

andy

• Members

I'm not sure how that would sound, honestly. Modulus puts those Barts + the Aggy pres in there b/c they fit so well with the sound of their basses, and I trust 'em on that one. :thu:

I think you'd have plenty of grind w/ the Bart+Aggy setup, honestly. I know my latest one sounded just fine w/ more aggressive tunes.

• Members

I'm not sure how that would sound, honestly. Modulus puts those Barts + the Aggy pres in there b/c they fit so well with the sound of their basses, and I trust 'em on that one.
:thu:

I think you'd have plenty of grind w/ the Bart+Aggy setup, honestly. I know my latest one sounded just fine w/ more aggressive tunes.

this makes me happy! :-)

cheers man!

andy

• Members

So far I am a huge fanboi for Bartolini pickups in graphite necked instruments.

I have also liked EMGs quite a bit but they are less capable of a "warmish" tone to my ears.

That said: I would suggest you look into Status since you are in the UK. It should be a lot cheaper than paying import duties. Plus you can send it back and get local service.

• Members

I have also liked EMGs quite a bit but they are less capable of a "warmish" tone to my ears.

That said: I would suggest you look into Status since you are in the UK. It should be a lot cheaper than paying import duties. Plus you can send it back and get local service.

He has an FB4 already so he may just be comfy with that neck and design.

Does Status make a more "traditional" styled-neck, like on the FB4's?

Otherwise I'd hafta concur here.

• Members

the place where i get it absorbs the import costs so its not really an issue

i just checked out the status site and ill probs win no fans with status lovers, but compared to the mody's they just dnt do it for me, look a bit ugly.

and price wise im not saving that much

andy

Archived