Carvin Pro Series or Avatar Neo Cab?

mcr23

• Members

I play guitar and just wants to mess around on bass so all I need is a decent rig, not a Vader 8x10 or anything
:lol:

Definitely go 2x12 then - easier to lug around, and moves plenty of air. I have an Avatar Neo 2x12 and its a great little cab, it hasn't given me any problems.

Mind, its not the greatest cab ever, but for value it performs nicely. And in general, I won't touch anything Carvin with a 10' pole.

• Members

Definitely go 2x12 then - easier to lug around, and moves plenty of air. I have an Avatar Neo 2x12 and its a great little cab, it hasn't given me any problems.

Mind, its not the greatest cab ever, but for value it performs nicely. And in general, I won't touch anything Carvin with a 10' pole.

I just didn't know what the gneeral consesus of 212 vs 410 was for bass guys.

seemed to me the 12s would put out more low end but the 410 has twice a smany speakers moving air. :idk:

• Members

I just didn't know what the gneeral consesus of 212 vs 410 was for bass guys.

seemed to me the 12s would put out more low end but the 410 has twice a smany speakers moving air.
:idk:

The typical debate around here is 1x15 VS 2x12, though 4x10s and more have a lot of supporters. Ultimately, it doesn't make much of a difference - it all depends on the cab and how its designed/built. You can get 410s with more low end than 212s, and you can get 212s which are louder than 410s.

Typically it comes down to portability these days, whatever is easiest to lug to gigs and provide good tone. For me, that dream is the Genz Benz NEOX 212.

• Members

There isn't one because not all 2x12s share the same characteristics, nor do all 4x10s. Cabinet volume and tuning has more to do with it than driver size does.

If your budget is around the price of a Carvin or Avatar, I would suggest you check out the Talkbass classifieds and pick up a higher end used cabinet.

There are some very nice ones there right now. Here is a good example:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642991&highlight=lds

• Members

There isn't one because not all 2x12s share the same characteristics, nor do all 4x10s. Cabinet volume and tuning has more to do with it than driver size does.

Yep. But, in general a two driver cab is going to be lighter and easier to haul around, which gives them the Win. The Avatar 212 though is just about the same size as a typical 410, and the B version weighed almost as much.

• Members

I own both the Avatar Neo 212 (older model) as well as the 410, and I've owned a couple of Carvin cabs in the past (not neo... 90's era)

If I had to choose, based on my experience, as well as the experiences that I've read about and heard about from others, I'd go with Avatar, hands down.

The biggest selling point for me would be customer service. Whenever I have sent Dave @ Avatar a message or a question (via email), he has ALWAYS responded within 24 hours, if not much sooner, and has always given a full and courteous answer. Also, his products shipped very fast, and were packed very well, and seem to be of great quality for the price. I have, as of yet, had NO problems whatsoever with my cabs, and am confident that they would be taken care of quickly if I did. And I've owned these cabs for probably 5 years or more, and they get used quite a bit.

Now, Carvin on the otherhand, is notorius for their crappy customer service, and out of probalby half a dozen emails I've sent them (or more), NONE of them were responded to at all, despite a disclaimer (IIRC) that someone would be sure to get back to me within 1 to 2 business days.

Also, as far as the cabs I did have, they were decent, but construction could have been better, and I wasn't really "overwhelmed" by their quality. Things could have changed regarding the Neo cabs they currently offer though. I can't really say for sure.

As for 212 vs. 410, that all depends on the cab, and the speakers that are being used. As I have the older version of the Avatar 212, that doesn't have as broad of a frequency response as the newer. In my case, the 410 has better lows. With the new 212's, That's probably not the case.

My 212 is a bit lighter than the 410, so it's nicer to pack around, but I'd probably prefer the 410 for a gig, if I could only choose one. Again, it simply has to do with lows, which like I said, may not be an issue with the newer 12s they are using.

As I am set up now, I just use BOTH in a full stack configuration. :D

• Members

The Carvin BRX 10.4 and 10.2 are great cabs, period. Anybody who says they suck are non-knowing, hatin bitches. I just saw a killer Led Zep band last week and the bassplayer had two of them under a BX1200 head. Absolutely scorched the HUGE club with killer bass tone.

• Members

No experience with Avatars. I've heard they're pretty good, but something like 7 feet tall and blue?

Anyway, I have a Carvin 10.2 NEO and it's stellar IMO. Sounds great with anything I own, from new solid state amp to 40 year old tube stuff.

• Members

I've got an Avatar 212 and love it. Nice and solid all the way down to my low B. Sounds great with my V4 and P bass. (tuned BEAD)

The Avatar website lists the 410 at 65# and the 212 at 56#. And FYI, Avatar uses the exact same cab for both. Cheaper that way, I suppose.

I have no experience with Carvin so I'll leave that to others.

IMG_1425.jpg

• Members

I suggest going over to talkbass.com and doing a search on Carvin BRX. I just came back from reading about 200 reviews on these cabs and didn't find one that wasn't glowing. They all say the same thing, loud, efficient, great sound (across the full spectrum), built very well, etc...

They also compare them to Avatars, Ampegs, and other cabs.

The Carvin BRX 10.4 cab rules. :cop:

• Members

On the other hand, Carvin posts the specs of their 10" neo drivers and they are garbage :) Lots of people have investigated replacing them because of weak low end (specifically the 10.2 cabs). The cabinets are nicely built and such, but the speakers are dubious at best. I wish Carvin sold them empty.

Avatar makes a far, far better cabinet in terms of speaker quality. The deltalites they use are about twice the speaker each.

The Carvins may have nice tone but they're beaten by the Avatars by around at least 6db @ 60-100hz in peak volume, if not a little more. So if you want a beefy bottom end, it is the wrong cabinet.

Archived