Bought an upright bass, looking for a pickup

kryszt

• Members

I dont know what im looking for in a pickup, Im a keyboard player but thought I would try something new.

Anyways, wondering if anyone can suggest any good pickups, Ideally for recording, but something for live use would be good as well.

I would also appreciate if anyone has any good mic'ing techniques for recording these they would like to share.

Thanks

• Members

Miking an instrument is like taking a picture of a subject. In photography, it's all about the direction of the lighting vs. the lens. In recording, it's about the reflections an instrument creates in a space vs. the mic. Have somebody play your bass while listening around the room; move your head in towards the bass and around to find the sweet spot. Simply place the mic there and set gain accordingly.

• Members

I tend to disagree.

A pickup is an excellent tool to have in your kit for recording.

Ive been playing upright for over 20 years, now, and almost always use a blend of pick up signal and room signal for my bass tone.

The pick up signal provides a degree of 'note' clarity and definition that is not apparent with room/instrument micing alone.

Certainly it does not provide the pure sound of the instrument, but I find it does tend to sit in the mix nicer.

Currently Im using a K&K rockabily bassmaster RB plus with preamp.

I have used Shadow, Underwood, Bellcat, Fishman, Barcus Berry in the past.

• Members

I use a K&K Rockabilly throu a rane AP-13 and like it quite a bit. though I don't run that much fingerboard in it

I can dig the point about a little extra clarity and attack, nice b/c it can take a little for a note to bloom.

I don't think there is an "ideal" with double bass pretty much at all, it's an instrument of negotiating limits and, in some ways, coping. And I don't mena that as a negative, I mean it's an instrument you have to sort of come to terms with IMO

and that can be a cool experience.

• Members

I tend to disagree.

Ive been playing upright for over 20 years, now, and almost always use a blend of pick up signal and room signal for my bass tone.

The pick up signal provides a degree of 'note' clarity and definition that is not apparent with room/instrument micing alone.

Certainly it does not provide the pure sound of the instrument, but I find it does tend to sit in the mix nicer.

You typically record that way?

• Members

I tend to disagree.

I read somewhere that Ron Carter uses a blend to record too. He gets some pretty nice sounds

• Members

I read somewhere that Ron Carter uses a blend to record too. He gets some pretty nice sounds

We'll agree to disagree on that one. :poke:

As far as recording, I trust the soundguy to know what's best. The last session on upright I did, we used some old microphone right in front of the bridge, ran through a tube pre. Made my Englehardt sound a lot more old and expensive that it really was. Great tone.

As for pickups, you can't go wrong with anything from K&K Sound. I've used their Double Big Twin piezos since '96 with no issue, and haven't really ever wanted to get anything else. A pre to compliment the pups, however, may be very nice as well.

Archived