Tone pot grounding?

randombassist

• Members

I have a Lakland 44-64 custom and every time i turn the tone knob past like 70% the bass starts to hum. I taken off the pickguard and everything seems to be wired properly and grounded, so I don't know whats wrong. Is it the pot itself? When it hums and I touch the bridge or tone knob it stops to hum. :confused: Help!

• Members

It's probably not a tone pot issue. When you turn the knob it rools off highs and kills hum at the same time.

The issue is elsewhere, probably a shielding issue. Start by changing your jack cable and make sure you're away from electromagnetic sources, such as neon or halogen lights.

• Members

It's probably not a tone pot issue. When you turn the knob it rools off highs and kills hum at the same time.

The issue is elsewhere, probably a shielding issue. Start by changing your jack cable and make sure you're away from electromagnetic sources, such as neon or halogen lights.

Hmm, well the cavity of the bass isn't shielded to my surprise, I'll shield it with some aluminum tape. Im gonna try another cable also. Thanks for the help:thu:

• Members
Well I moved away from anything electromagnetic, used the best cable I have, still
hums until I touch the bridge
or tone knob. I'm using a cheap 50 watt practice combo at home, so maybe thats the issue?

The bridge should make an electrical connection to your body when you touch the strings. This grounds you and reduces the amount of hum you couple into the pickups. Are you using coated strings or something?

• Members

The bridge should make an electrical connection to your body when you touch the strings. This grounds you and reduces the amount of hum you couple into the pickups. Are you using coated strings or something?

No, I'm using regular D'Addario Nickel Wound's, when i touch either the strings,bridge or the tone knob it stops humming...so are you telling me thats normal? I wouldn't think it is

• Members

Yes, it's normal that it stops.

What's not normal is that you have so much hum. It's always there but it should only be a slight hum, nothing overwhelming.

Is it the same when both pickups are full on?

When the pickup is full on with no tone its quiet as can be, but as soon as your start dialing the tone in it starts to hum. I lined the whole cavity with aluminum tape this morning and it diminished the hum but it's still there.

• Moderators

Is it the same when both pickups are full on?

The 44-64 is a P bass. They don't shield it (intentionally) because the '64 P wasn't shielded either. The noise should be eliminated by touching the strings. In order to get it silent when you aren't touching the strings, you need a complete shielding job.

• Members

The 44-64 is a P bass. They don't shield it (intentionally) because the '64 P wasn't shielded either. The noise should be eliminated by touching the strings. In order to get it silent when you aren't touching the strings, you need a complete shielding job.

I completely shielded the bass today, still humming :confused:

Archived