vt bass a good answer?

j powell

• Members

hey y'all. so i've somehow gotten involved in a stone temple pilots tribute band that also does led zeppelin, and i'm not entirely thrilled with the sound of the distortion i'm getting from my boss me-50b. i like what i've heard as far as samples from the vt bass, and i was thinking the vt-bass deluxe fromt ech 21 would be good as i could plug in both my basses, have individual settings, and an effect loop. so the idea would be: g&l and jazz bass->vt bass-> volume pedal, one out to tuner, one to amp, with some octaver, mxr prolly, boss chorus and wah or envelope in the effect loop of the vt. there's no vt's in the area for me to try, anybody think this might work? the other thing i'm not digging about the boss multieffect is it's kind of damping my amp tone, and i'm quite happy with that normally, i just want better effects. thanks for letting me ramble!

• Members

The VT Bass is very hot. When it's in use you'll probably want to bypass your amp's preamp unless you like lots of squealing.

oof. well, i do like lots of squealing, but not from my bass playing! bypassing the preamp is something i want to avoid, i really lik ethe hartke's clean tone a lot and part of what i don't like about my boss multi is the preamp being always on. i wish there was one of these for me to try in the area...

• Members

The VT Bass and Deluxe version were designed to be used in front of an amp as well as a preamp to drive a power amp or go directly to a board. The reason the level is hot is so if you are running your drive control very low you will still have enough output. As a stompbox it's best to set your pedal for unity gain. This means the "volume" of the pedal will be at the same level as the bypassed signal. You can run it hotter for a boost just take care. You may at some settings need to run the level fairly low but this will not hinder the sound quality in any way.

• Members

The VT Bass and Deluxe version were designed to be used in front of an amp as well as a preamp to drive a power amp or go directly to a board. The reason the level is hot is so if you are running your drive control very low you will still have enough output. As a stompbox it's best to set your pedal for unity gain. This means the "volume" of the pedal will be at the same level as the bypassed signal. You can run it hotter for a boost just take care. You may at some settings need to run the level fairly low but this will not hinder the sound quality in any way.

I take it you're a Tech21 rep?

If so, schweet!

• Members

thanks for the reply! lemme tell you, i couldn't finda vt bass to try out to save my life, and i didn't want to hassle with special ordering it and having to return it if it didn't do the job. so i got a bass driver sansamp instead and i am just thrilled with it! i mgiht have to take it back and get the 3 channel programmable one though...

• Members

thanks for the reply! lemme tell you, i couldn't finda vt bass to try out to save my life, and i didn't want to hassle with special ordering it and having to return it if it didn't do the job. so i got a bass driver sansamp instead and i am just thrilled with it! i mgiht have to take it back and get the 3 channel programmable one though...

:thu:

The BDDI was going to be my suggestion. Glad to see you like it! I've been trying to eliminate pedals from my signal chain, but the BDDI makes my tone so fat and warm, I just can't bear to get rid of it.

Archived