I have a question about the vocals in this song

Swingfinger

• Members

Yup. Sounds like falsetto to me. He isn't singing in an incredibly high register, but since he's singing so quietly--almost whispering--the only way to really reach that note is in falsetto. Otherwise, he'd have to raise his voice.

• Members

Thanks for the info

So it is very hard to whisper sing and sing high notes because you are not able to support with your diaphragm? I have been having problem singing and I was thinking it is because I try to imitate the breathy vocals (think Iron and Wine + Sufjan Stevens).

• Members

Thanks for the info

So it is very hard to whisper sing and sing high notes because you are not able to support with your diaphragm? I have been having problem singing and I was thinking it is because I try to imitate the breathy vocals (think Iron and Wine + Sufjan Stevens).

The reason why it sounds breathy is because he's singing very very softly. Think of how you would sing a lullaby to a baby. You wouldn't want to raise your voice at all, or you could wake it up.

Because the vocal is very upfront in the mix, it makes his voice sound louder than it actually is. In reality, he's barely just above a whisper.

Archived