Healthy male singing like a soprano

Kentrel

• Members

This is Jason Mraz. Somehow he's managed to pull off a passable soprano part, at least to a layperson's ears. The relevant bit begins at 2:30, though if you've never heard the song before it sounds better in context of the whole song. Its a pretty sweet song.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Here's the album version of you want clearer vocals..The opera bit begins at: 2:20

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I've seen him use some note on the high E string to check his pitch as he begins so he's definitely in the mezzo-soprano to soprano range. I've seen him interviewed about this and he says "A LOT of practice".

I think this guy is really talented, but someone thought him how to sing like that. Is this headvoice? Falsetto? How does a guy learn to sing that high with decent tonal quality? Will it do damage to a male voice in the long term?

• Members
I think this guy is really talented, but someone thought him how to sing like that. Is this headvoice? Falsetto? How does a guy learn to sing that high with decent tonal quality? Will it do damage to a male voice in the long term?

He sings OK, but he is definately not a great technical singer. He slips into falsetto which is one way to do headvoice. Headvoice only means that your tone resonates in your head. Another way is full voice, which is more powerful and also the most difficult way. And that takes much more practice than flipping into falsetto....

• Members

He sounds like he's singing in his falsetto range using a feminine opera tone. I sang along a bit and do not recall any notes I could not hit in falsetto—I'm a high bari—although, I honestly was only half paying attention so there might have been a few. Tonally, it reminds of a soprano. And the notes are within the soprano range, but a soprano would likely sing that phrase a great deal higher. (I would think.)

Archived